G4 cube compared with iBook and PBG4

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
I'm sure you all know how I complain about OmniWeb not being fast enough when browsing the MacOSX.com forums. It takes a HELL of a long time to load all the images and tables that this web page uses.

However, when I use my mom's iBook (600 MHz) or my dad's new Titanium PBG4 (667 MHz), OmniWeb SCREAMS. Seriously, even on my mom's iBook with a couple applications open, OmniWeb is DEFINITELY up to par with IE in speeds?

So my question is: what gives? Why does my mom's iBook perform 100x better in OmniWeb than does my cube? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the iBook has more cache than does my cube, but I hardly think that that can affect the speed of OmniWeb THAT much.

Anyone got any insights?

So I restart my dad's new TiBook 667 w/combo drive :)D), and I go to launch OmniWeb.

Do you know how many bounces it took to load it? Guess! Go ahead, GUESS.

THREE FREAKIN' BOUNCES

THREE BOUNCES. That just makes me sick! It takes at least 3 times that on my cube! I want OW to open that fast!!!! Now I REALLY want to sell my cube and get a new TiBook!

uh sim, you know how easily confused i am. so could you explain to me how you measure in bounces? I click it and about 7-8 seconds later it's ready to use. ie and icab are about 5-6 secs to ready. how many secs in a bounce?:)

it takes only 2 bounces on my iBook
to open omniweb (4.1b1) :D

---------------------------------------------------
ibook - 500Mhz @66Mhz bus
640MB ram

Maybe it's time for a defrag. I admit I haven't done this in a long time.

sim - i was just about to suggest that . make sure you have the very latest of whatever you use. I remember your saying you would get it from your dad so doublecheck. not sure about norton, but techtool pro is 3.0.5 and should go 3.0.6 sometime in the next few weeks. plusoptimizer is 1.3.

alito - see this thread for more on defragmentation . of course all the programs still only work while running 9 but they at least understand osx.

:)

Back