G4 Cube Hard Drive

mrmega74

Registered
I'll try to make sense of this. A couple of weeks ago my Cube, running Jaguar, started locking up, with what sounds like the hard drive sounding something like: da-dat, da-dat, then the screen fills with a bunch of technical data I can't understand.

It happens at different time in different apps. I ran Norton Utilities and DiskWarrior, and they both locked up before finishing. I ran the Disk Utility and the diagnostic disk that came with the computer, and it said everything was okay.

I finally decided mayber there was a corrupted file, so did a clean install of OS 10.2. Then when I started downloading all the updates since 10.2, it did it again.

As you can see from this message, the computer works, but I'm never sure when I'll get the freeze again. I'm guessing that my hard drive has a glitch in it. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Did you add any new equipment or RAM recently? Did you install the firmware needed before installing OS X?
Go to:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

There is another method to diagnose the problem.
Restart the computer and hold down command (apple) + S immediately.
Now instead of a desktop, you get a techie looking text scroll. When the scrolling stops and ends with localhost#, type in : fsck -y and press enter(return).
Note: it is fsck, space, dash, y

It will go through five sets of tests. Repeat the test until you get a complete OK
then type in: reboot and hit enter (return)
You shuld be back up running normally.

Back