G4 Cube

XePeR

Registered
Well, I've been thinkin' of buying a cube forever, but the speed and lack of video upgradability makes me shiver with a lack of excitement. So now these upgrades are coming out, supposedly you can upgrade the cpu in the cube... I'm just wondering exactly WHAT speed I can upgrade a 400 or 450 cube TO... and also, will EITHER of the cube's video cards be supported [even if unofficialy] by Quartz Extreme.

thanx in advance for any pertinent info.

The Cube came in two speeds, 450 and 500MHz. From what I understand, PowerLogix has a 1GHz upgrade for the Cube. It doesn't list the price but I would guess it would be around $799 like their other 1GHz upgrades. The Cube shipped with either a 16 MB ATI RAGE 128 Pro AGP or 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX videocard. There was also an aftermarket 32 MB ATI Radeon card released for the Cube, but now they're are almost impossible to find. My Cube with the RAGE 128 Pro handles 3D graphics very well. There's been a lot of controversy over the Quartz Extreme's requirements. I know the GeForce2 and Radeon Cube cards will support it, but am not exactly clear on whether the RAGE 128 Pro will. The Cube is a great desktop machine and the 1GHz upgrade should extend the life of it for several more years. If a 1GHz upgrade frenzy ensues for Cube owners, it would seem likely ATI might rerelease their Radeon upgrade card again. The Cube was my first Mac which prompted me to buy a PowerBook G4 a year later. I certainly don't regret the purchase of my Cube, it's a great little machine.

Admin has a Qb for sale, if anyone's interested

I can't afford it and I have an LCD iMac n e ways

Back