G4 DP 1Gig Review (I got one)

I don't understand why read speed would suffer when you RAID your drives? Since there's two drives, doesn't it mean that you can have 2 hard drive heads reading one file, so if the data is correctly split between two drives, it will go much faster?

Originally posted by simX
I don't understand why read speed would suffer when you RAID your drives? Since there's two drives, doesn't it mean that you can have 2 hard drive heads reading one file, so if the data is correctly split between two drives, it will go much faster?

I always thought it went like this:

Random access time is slower but throughput is higher (faster).

Here's the deal, let's compare a raid setup with five disks. If you needed a single file spread across all five and the access time is going to be between 10 and 200ms than one of the five will probably be close to 200ms so you're screwed.

However, if you're looking to push a 100mb files than access time isn't the main factor, it's the ability to push data. With that, a raid setup will be faster. I've always thought that a single disk wasn't able to fill the IO channel. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that several drives could. (Or even that some modern drives could.)

The Beef on ATA:

ATA/IDE can only read from one drive per chain at a time. Also, the ata in the new power macs is still ata/66 (someone PLEASE correct me if that isn't right).

Mindbend, that absolutely rocks that you have a freakin' DUAL (!!!!!!) processor G4 with a freakin' CINEMA DISPLAY!!!! OH MY!!!!!

Boy do I want that or what? Can we have a lan party where you get really drunk and sign your g4 over to me? please? lol ok I wouldn't do that, but man... dual 1ghz with the 22" display... man!

Try this to shutdown from the terminal, maybe it will do it:

sudo shutdown -h now
type in your password when it asks.

Can we have a picture of you next to it? I just wanna see that freakin' grin :D

I'm headed over to the apple store on Monday to try one out for myself.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but macosx is a bit of a processor/ram pig. Just imagine what Linux would do on that!?! (I'm no fan of Linux - I prefer bsd, but linux does have the best processor management overall, imo).

Mindbend, I'm happy for ya! that rocks!

I just thought that I would take the oppertunity to point out that OmniWeb is great. Yes, it still has its bugs (and lots of them) but I have been getting better performance out of it than IE. Note that this I am running the latest sneeky peak build. I have been really impressed by the speed improvements since 4.1 Public Beta v2. There is normaly a new build or two a week that comes out.

Ok, I took mindbend's advice and went to the apple store.

That mac rocks!!!!

I was getting over 8gigaflops from altivec carbon. I tried and tried, and I just couldn't slow it down.

hmm... $64/month for the rest of my life.. I could do it!

I dont know why you all are complaining about your G4 towers and cubes.

I would MUCH rather have a cube or tower than a 500mhz iMac..
Although a 500mhz G3 is pretty comparable to a 400mhz G4.

I may be getting a G4 Cube, but I dunno.

Mindbend, I'll trade you my girlfriend for your setup. How about it? She's pretty and she's a very good cook. On the down side, she whines a lot and doesn't speak english very well. :)

Probably not, eh?

Anyway, thanks for sharing! Posts like this makes me very happy.

Back