G4 HD, and Urban Myths

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
Hello all, two things under this thread

1) My boss would like a larger HD for his Titanium G4... Any highly recommended? I remember Quantum was junk for a while (PC side) and that Western Digital was doing well. But I've gotten so far away from upgrading that I don't know where I stand. I will be consulting cNet, and of course taking in suggestions here as well.

2) Found this link on MacWarehouse.com's website...
It's actually fairly well done. It seems to be targeting a PC user who may just be looking on the site to see what all this "apple stuff is about."

Urban Myths

I have seen a thread to the effect that replacing your HD in any model Mac will effectively void the warranty.

So you either have to get it changed by the service people who will be glad to "Test it out" for a couple of weeks or, if you ever have a warranty issue you have to replace the original drive.

Originally posted by jimr
I have seen a thread to the effect that replacing your HD in any model Mac will effectively void the warranty.

So you either have to get it changed by the service people who will be glad to "Test it out" for a couple of weeks or, if you ever have a warranty issue you have to replace the original drive.

It's a partial myth.

Replacing (upgrading) the HD in a Mac will not void the warranty, but for warranty work to be done, Apple does request that the original components be installed (or replaced). At least, that's my understanding of the fine print on the AppleCare agreement that I bought for my iBook. Of course, the entire document is fine print. :)

BTW, I've had good success with Toshiba's laptop harddrives.

Originally posted by sheepguy42
The article seems to only have #'s 2,3,4,7, & 8. What's up with that?

the numbers 1, 5, 6 are not used in the Mac operating system. This makes the mac processing faster...

That also makes it very difficult to port Windows applications (especially viruses) which insist on making extensive use of "antique" numbers....

Additionally, many windows programmers also make use of "dividing by zero" to produce the unwelcome BSOD so that users will feel compelled to buy the upgrade which incorporates a new set of BSOD screens.

Truthfully, the article says "this is a sample"....

the other three are ".....unbelievably stupid, commonly held beliefs which Windows users swear by....." and were omitted by the marketing department. They didn't feel it was fair to try to convince anyone that lack of education might result in complete failure to obtain the correct information. (e.g. #1 Microsoft and Intel have genetically manufactured a race of miniature humanoids who actually perform all of the necessary calculation and drawing necessary for modern computing. Apple is trying to free the enslaved masses of miniatures by offering products which operate on *gasp* electronic principles. Most windows users, therefore, assume that Apple is in League with the Devil, who contrary to the Divine Edict "press any key to continue"; says, "if this doesn't work for you, have an Apple.")

Back