G4 Laptop fans

receng56

Registered
My father in-law has a 17" G4 Powerbook. Everytime he switches it off the internal fans come on. Mine and other friends have similar Macs but this doesn't happen to ours. Is there s setting I have missed to stop this happening?

What Mac OS is he running, 9 or X? If it's X, which version of OS X? It's possible that if the OS isn't up to date, you might be affected by something that a simple upgrade could fix (possibly faulty code in the power management software).

Thanks for the reply nixgeek. He is running OSX, I am not sure if it's Tiger though. I suspect not. Are there any fixes from Apple that might fix this problem?

As far as I know, I think all you need to do is run the Software Update to make sure the operating system is at the latest version. Panther's latest is 10.3.9 and Tiger's latest is 10.4.4.

nixgeek said:
As far as I know, I think all you need to do is run the Software Update to make sure the operating system is at the latest version. Panther's latest is 10.3.9 and Tiger's latest is 10.4.4.

Yes thanks, that is what I told him to do, at 75 he takes a little time to find and understand these things. I am fairly sure he is on Panther.

Back