G4 MDD takes Panther installer, but not Jaguar

jbraddy

Registered
I am working on a Mac G4 MDD (1.25 GHz single processor) that shipped with OS 9.2 and OS 10.2.x (Jaguar) and the appropriate installer DVD. I am having to install the OS and all apps from scratch and having a terrible time of it.

The Mac will not boot from the original installer DVD. It will not boot from a replacement DVD supplied by Apple. It will not boot from a CD installers supplied for a similar G4 MDD. It will not boot from the retail version of Jaguar.

But, strangely, it will boot from anything related to OS 10.3.x (Panther), including the newest version of DiskWarrior. It also will boot from the Apple Hardware Test portion of the original Jaguar installer CD.

I have zapped the PRAM. I have reset everything in Open Firmware. I have tried everything suggested on a number of OS X forums. I have fixed permissions. I have checked the RAM and the video card. I have even installed Jaguar successfully on the hard drive for this G4 while it was installed in another G4 MDD. But, when I put the newly formatted hard drive into the original G4, guess what, no boot. All I get is the gray screen with the Apple in the middle -- not even the spinning wheel.

I am stumped. Can anyone help? And please don't say "Just install Panther." This machine worked best in Jaguar and that's what needs to be re-installed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Back