G4 Memory Upgrade Question

djubelirer

Registered
I just recently ordered (2) 512 MB Memory Modules from Crucial for my PowerMac G4 867mhz.

Crucial's website lists the Modules as being CL-3. They also go on to say that CL-2 is faster than CL-3. The 512MB Modules only come in CL-3.

The first question.....Will I be able to tell any kind of a difference with CL-3 instead of CL-2, and what is the 128MB Module that comes with the Computer from Apple?

Also, when I was installing the memory I saw that the 128MB Module that came with the computer was taller than the two Modules from Crucial...does this mean anything? I remember reading somewhere that some of the new Macs are very finicky when it comes to memory. I just wanted to make sure that these 512 MB Modules are 100% compatible, and still quick inside of my PowerMac....

Thanks in advance....

David

I ordered my dual800 with 128mb...Apple supplies cl3 ram. I upgraded with 2 512mb dimms from Othewr World, no issues at all, has worked fine.

I do recall reading about the ram problems though...I think it might vhave been fairly specific to some 256mb dimms......bottom line, put your ram in and see if it works, if it doesn't then start troubleshooting.....

If your Mac shows the installed ram correctly in the "about" box or Apple System profiler, then the RAM is "working." Generally, it all runs at the speed of the slowest chip installed...lowest common denominator.

Since you're using the cl3 that apple supplied and bought cl3 from crucial, they're all basically the same so no real issue there.....

Oh, and I should add....

If after installing the RAM you start having a lot of crashes etc that can be a very good indication of a flakey RAM chip....

Back