G4 Not As Great....

Jayem

The All Seeing
Me, Myself, and I have all been loyal Mac Users since the days of the performas...mind you i was 12 when I got my first Apple. Anywho-e, I've watched the processors slump big time since then. Personally I think that the G3 was the best processor that Motorola ever came out with for Apple. And rather than playing it smart like WinTel, and creating high clock speeds, they decided to "think outside the box". Well sorry Mr. Jobs, but thinking outside the box, ususally leaves you with nothing inside your wallet. :rolleyes: [i made that one up ... hehe ]
So yeah, its a well known fact that the G3 procesor can reach speads upto 1.2 Ghz and so on and so forth... and the reason beeing that Apple hasnt released on is the simple fact that u cant have the G3 clock speeds faster than the G4 clock speeds... I say why the fuck not? the G4s arent that fuckin great anyway. Trust me you G3 owners, I have a G4 and I only see VAST speed improvement when Im using PS6. I also have an iMac with a 700 MHz G3, and while running OS X on both machines with the same amount of RAM, there isnt much diffrence at all. Oh well, yet another reason Steve should get a beat down. I think im gonna goto Cupertino and just start a hardcore brawl in some meeting at their offices. :p

but you are way off on several points.

I'll agree with you about it being absurd to keep G3 chips lower than whats available due to Apple not wanting to portray the G3 as being faster than the G4.

But, the G4 is a much better chip than the G3. Here's a few reasons why...

1) AltiVec. Yeah, not every application takes advantage of it, but many more than just Photoshop do, and it's a boon for them. Cleaner, After Effects, Cinema4DXL, Lightwave 7.0b, VirtualPC, and many many more.

2) The G3 will not work in multiprocessor setups, due to a way the chip handles information. The G4 works very well in MP setups.

All of this will be moot come January when Apple releases what will probably be marketed as the G4+ at speeds of 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4ghz.

Good luck at your Cupertino brawl. Don't call me from jail needing to be bailed out. You're on your own!

I think it'd be cool if Apple brought back multi color towers, where you could choose a processor.

Choices:

Home Users:
1 GHz G3 Tower, built off of the old G3 tower design, except maybe a bit smaller and "smoother" like the New G4s. $999 - $1299. DVD-R, CD-RW options

1 GHz G3 Flat-Screen iMac. $799 $1,499. DVD-ROM, CD-RW Options.

Mobile Users:
iPod, $399. Possible 20 Gig HD for $599?
PowerBook - Power Book G3s and G4s.
iBook - Kill It! Bring back the black G3 PowerBooks (with the apple flipped the right way like on the newer macs, of course :)
Newton - Apple, you know we want it!

Originally posted by dricci
I think it'd be cool if Apple brought back multi color towers, where you could choose a processor.

Choices:

Home Users:
1 GHz G3 Tower, built off of the old G3 tower design, except maybe a bit smaller and "smoother" like the New G4s. $999 - $1299. DVD-R, CD-RW options

1 GHz G3 Flat-Screen iMac. $799 $1,499. DVD-ROM, CD-RW Options.

Mobile Users:
iPod, $399. Possible 20 Gig HD for $599?
PowerBook - Power Book G3s and G4s.
iBook - Kill It! Bring back the black G3 PowerBooks (with the apple flipped the right way like on the newer macs, of course :)
Newton - Apple, you know we want it!

if only we could have flat screen imac... :::shivers::: damn that would be sweet

Here here for a 1ghz G3 for a reasonable price, in australia they want $850 for a g4 400mhz upgrade LOL yeah righ whatever...!

Cpu upgrades are far too expensive and are not worth it, whose fault is this?

Back