G4 Notebool - Serious Issues

El Perro Loco

Registered
Hi All,

I have been here before with pretty much the same problems - and got some great tips so figured I would come back.

I am running a G4 PB (probably aluminum, though for some reason when I pop it open, the specs look more like a titanium - it was a gift...) 15", 100ghz, 512 RAM, 60gb hd partitioned into 2. OSX.4.

It only boots fully about 2% of the time, now. When it does, it works fine, though I get an intermitant screen flicker which sometimes leads to a freeze.

I have zapped the pram, reset the nvram, hooked up an external monitor (same problem), run the disk / permission checks.

For a time I was able to boot from my install DVD. Now I cannot do that, though I can insert and remove it.

I cannot start in Safe Mode.

Now all I get is a grey screen. I can hear a fan, I can hear the DVD Drive running. I have no clue. Please help if you can.

EPL

Rats. Thought it might be software related. Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

EPL

PS: In fact, I have run the hd diagnostic. I had a few permission errors which (apparently) have been fixed. According to the sysdiag, my hd is fine. Can you confirm that your HD Utility test gave your HD a clean bill of health in spite of the fact that your hd was bad?

Please advise if possible.

Thanks,

EPL

Back