G4 OS X 10.3.9. locks up

richdolman47

Registered
Do I call out a repair person or try something myself? Need advice for a know nothing like me.

Kernal Version:7.9.0 ????????
Memory 1-512, 1-256 & 2-128's

More detail please, eg. your G4 model (iMac or PowerMac) then we can help you further. Describe what happens to make your computer "lock up". Initial reaction is that the RAM is suspect, given you've got a bit of a mixture there.

And if you can get this to 'lock up' always in the same way, what do you do before this problem happens?

My G4 is a Power Mac. It first locked up last week while downloading large digital pictures to the secondary hard drive. Had to hard restart it. Both hard drives still have plenty of free space. Since the 1st lock it now will lock up randomly. Also now it seems slower at times. Do I need to do something with my RAM setup?

What shows in Console in logs (messages/system/archived system) on the time these crashes happened?

My G4 is a Power Mac. ... Do I need to do something with my RAM setup?

Rich - there are 11 models of PowerMac G4. According to Mactracker, all have four RAM slots, but maximum RAM capacity doubled from the first to the last models of G4. Therefore, could you please give us some more precise specs of your particular machine. A model number etc, to be found by the power-in socket at the rear of the machine, would help.

If I were you, I'd think seriously about matching instead of mixing the four sticks of RAM, but first we need to know which RAM is suitable for your model of G4.

Back