G4 OSX Microphone problems

Beastie

Registered
I have a Mac G4 Dual Chip machine with OSX10.4.6. I have plugged a microphone into the input jack and can see the input in the bar register. Yet I cannot hear the results, nor can I choose it for use with Skype software.

Skype or No Skype, why do I get no sound out of my speakers when the Microphone is plugged in & I can see that it is working?

Once that is solved, then how can I get this to work with Skype?

If the microphone is plugged into the correct port, you should not be hearing it through the speakers. That is normal, you can tell if it's working, however, by going to System Preferences and then Sound, and click the Input tab.

In Skype, you must first Log In, and then go to Skype > Preferences, click Audio, and choose probably the only option there, something along the lines of "Built-In Audio".

You can then add the contact "echo123" and call it to test the microphone. echo123 is the Skype Test Call.

Yes... I've done all of that. I still get nothing when I try the skype testing service. I Dunno....

Beastie

If the microphone is plugged into the correct port, you should not be hearing it through the speakers. That is normal, you can tell if it's working, however, by going to System Preferences and then Sound, and click the Input tab.

In Skype, you must first Log In, and then go to Skype > Preferences, click Audio, and choose probably the only option there, something along the lines of "Built-In Audio".

You can then add the contact "echo123" and call it to test the microphone. echo123 is the Skype Test Call.

Check the Audio MIDI Setup in the Utility folder.
Make sure it's set to 44100.0 and the External mic is set.

Check the Audio MIDI Setup in the Utility folder.
Make sure it's set to 44100.0 and the External mic is set.
Oh Yeh! Great call.. I didn't know that was even there.

Unfortunateley the settings are all OK already, still no skype for me as of yet.
I'm still trying to work it out. I'm begining to think I haven't got the speed required for skype. dual 500mhz gets everything I've ever needed done, "but", everything requires faster processors these days. I have noticed that my old favorite "soundjam" works slower on this newer dual machine than previously on my old beige 800mhz box. So I guess dual is better for "MOST" things. Not All.

What microphone is it. Some won't work on a Mac.
Your audio in port is 3.5-mm analog

That isn't a "microphone" port. It's a "sound in" port and needs a
line-level signal. Get a Griffin iMic with a switch-able pre-amp.

In any event, there is no inherent ability to hear a sound coming
into the Mac. Get a third party app like "linein" for that.

That isn't a "microphone" port. It's a "sound in" port and needs a
line-level signal. Get a Griffin iMic with a switch-able pre-amp.

In any event, there is no inherent ability to hear a sound coming
into the Mac. Get a third party app like "linein" for that.

Yep. Even Garageband requires you to choose 'monitor' in order to hear what you're recording as you're doing it. Otherwise it assumes you don't want to hear yourself.

Be aware if you decide to monitor yourself you might have feedback on Skype...

Back