G4 PCI Graphics: What metal clips for jumper block ?

Dekatophil

Registered
Hi again !

As you'll know, on the PowerMac G4's(PCI graphics) logic board you can set the processor speed. That's done in the jumper block (J25). Now, I've been told the metal clips inside the jumper block are 'regular clips' used (or that were used) throughout the industry. Can anyone give me the specs or the exact denomination of these clips ? (ISO number or the like?)
TYsomuchIA !

I think you can push the metal parts out with a needle and insert them where you want them in the block. Or take the block to a radio shack store and buy a set of separate jumpers instead.

Well, I know you can push out the metal parts :) But what if one breaks ;)
So, in order to spare me the trouble of pulling that thing out and hoping to get a new one, I just wondered what the specs are, so I can ask beforehand. (Turned out that not many shops have them anymore...)

Maybe there is a document on Apple's site somewhere...
I've never done over-clocking, so I don't know.

On my old B&W, I used a couple of extra clips used for jumpers on a hard drives/cd drive. They worked like a charm.

On a side note, don't try to overclock your computer to much, results has varied, but I've found that anything over 50 MHz overclock was unstable. Plus there is a chance that you can fry your processor.

Good luck.

That's what I heard too, even though processors are supposed to be 'underclocked' from their potential stable speed by about 20%

Thank you all. Actually, I did overclock it once to 450MHz and ended up booting into Open Firmware. @naodx... I will try a hard drive jumper.
Ah, and BTW, I've searched Apple's site over and over... nothing there. (It's normally the first place I look).

-----

Take life easy, it's worth it :)

Not surprising that you wouldn't find anything on Apple's site about overclocking. :) I don't think that is something that they would support.

naodx said:
Not surprising that you wouldn't find anything on Apple's site about overclocking. :) I don't think that is something that they would support.

Well yes, of course. However, one might have hoped to find something about the components they use.

Back