G4 Powerbook Won't Charge

charliewillbe

Registered
Hi,

My Powerbook (G4 15" 1.5 GHz running 10.3.0) won't run from or charge my battery, even though the battery works fine (original, only 99 cycles, works fine in another G4, and coconut battery shows no problems, and I have the same problem running the powerbook using a friend's battery)

The battery reads 83% in the battery meter, and though it sees and reads it okay, it won't charge it.

Harware test from my boot disk shows no problems with the logic board, everything else seems to be working fine.

I've reset the PMU countless times (shift-ctrl-option-power button simultaneous then wait 5 seconds).

Powerbook runs fine from AC adaptor, and switches off if I remove it. I can't start up from the battery either.

I tried installing OSX 10.4 but to no avail.

I only have 10 days left of warranty, from the UK, and I live up a mountain in Guatemala now - please help me! Thanks a lot

Charlie

I have a G4 Powerbook. I have to constantly have my computer plugged into the mains. If I unplug it my computer goes dead. It doesnt restart from the battery, and if it has been unplugged, on restart I get the message "your computers clock is set to a date before march 1st etc" The ring on my power supply is constantly "orange" and my battery status is always on 74%.

When I press the battery button, 4 out of the 5 green lights show up. However when my computer is not plugged in, these lights dont show up.

Do i have a dead battery? or is my battery just not charging?

Please help/ any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BriC

I had the same problem, turned out to be a dodgy connection in the cable (inside the computer) between where the battery plugs in and the first circuit board that it goes to. It has several multi coloured wires, it's about two inches long and has little multi-pin plastic plugs at each end. i just had to wiggle it about a bit and hey presto no problem ever since. be warned: don´t open your powerbook without grounding yourself, to avoid giving your chips a static electricity shock that may blow them.

also try:
1 coconut battery free download
2 PMU reset
3 a Hardware test with the mac osx install CD

good luck!
Charlie

Same problem on an 12" ibook. DC power board is dead. Apple repaired as the unit was under warranty.

Back