G4 Processor Upgrade

neuroman

Faithfull Mac USer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find any processor upgrades for my G4/400. Okay, new G4's are cool, are fast, are equipped with better motherboards - but how to tell my boss that he should spend another 3.000-4.000 bucks for a new machine? The problem is that I'm the only Mac user in a Wintel environment, and my coleagues upgrade their PC's for a minimal price, whether they upgrade the CPU only or the motherboard & CPU. This makes me feel frustrated :mad: when arguing about the advantages of the Macintoshes over PC's - nobody has a CPU at 400MHz like I do, they all use at least 800MHz...

As far as I see, there are no XLR8, Newer, Sonnet - so, any advices?

You actually don't have to spent that much for a new Mac. Used Macs sell dramatically better than PCs. Drop it on eBay and show your boss how high the bidding goes, then convince him how nice it would be to have a DVD-burner in the company and get that 867 Quicksilver or wait for the new towers.

But I remember that there are companies which offered CPUs. I don't know if they still do it, but IIRC you could upgrade Sawtooths. Not officially at Apple though.

My opinion on upgrade cards: they are more of a hassle than a benefit. Most of the upgrades that Apple provides in new iterations of their Macs work in tandem with each other -- faster bus speed, better processor, more RAM, faster RAM, more backside cache, etc. When you just upgrade the processor, you're not actually getting all of those benefits -- just some. So it actually doesn't give you the performance boost you expect. Furthermore, there are so many problems and you have to worry about whether it works in OS X or not and if there are any extension conflicts that the drivers create in OS 9, etc...

I say it's not worth it. When I finally spring for a new high-end iMac, I'm gonna put my whole system up for sale on eBay. CD burner, speakers, microphone, cube, all 896 megs RAM, keyboard, mouse, etc. (Not the SuperDisk Drive, the Airport card or the printer). I hope to get at least $1000. And, yes, Macs do sell much higher than their PC counterparts -- you'd be doing yourself a favor to get a whole new computer and sell the old one. (Hint on eBay -- set a reserve. This means if your reserve is not met, you have the option of not selling your system. Say, for example, that I have $800, and I have to get at least $1200 to pay for a new high-end iMac. I would put $1200 as my reserve, and if someone didn't bid for that much, I wouldn't sell it. That way you can assure you get what you want, or you won't sell.)

at the moment i dont see the possibility to ever sell my cube!
i guess it has to much sentimental value!:D

http://www.allmac.com

Check the website, then call them. They have all sorts of upgrades there at reasonable prices. I got a refurbished G4 logic board to replace my G3 logic board when I accidentally fried it with static discharge when plugging in the keyboard after the cable dragged across the carpeted floor to my computer that was not grounded (plugged into the wall). I also replaced my original Motorola 400MHz G3 with an IBM 500MHz G3. Total cost was $700 with return of the fried logic board. The new processor was $300. These guys are good if they have what you need. Of course, no instructions are provided, you assume all responsibility for installation. Hence, "My Franken Mac".

Back