G4 Quicksilver (MacOS 10.4.11) wont start up

Ahriman

Registered
My trusty Quicksilver froze on me a few minutes ago. I got the dreaded translucent-full of text restart screen, so I thought no big deal and pressed the restart button (under the power button). Well, now all I get is this:

1) Gray screen with dark gray apple
2) Gray screen with Mac OS X square graphic and progress bar (for only a moment)
3) Blue screen with the cursor pointer for just a moment
4) Blue screen with progress circle indifinetly

I tried to do a "Safe Boot" and a few seconds after I release shift, the computer turns off on it's own.

Any ideas?

Update: I booted from the system disc and ran Disk Utility, at the beginning it gave me some errors but after a few passes it seems all the problems are solved. I'm trying to restart and I get as far as the MacOS X graphic and the progress bar fills completely, but it gets stuck there.

I'm getting worried, all my stuff is in there...

Last edited:
Ahriman> On Restart> Press And Hold The Comm. Key; Opt.key>p & R Keys Til You Have Heard The Apple Chime 2 Times. Release The Keys And Let It Startup. This May Cure It. Zap The Pram As It Is Known.
Dickster--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I tried resetting the PRAM and many other things and sadly nothing seemed to do the trick. Talking to a friend we came up with a painless (but time consuming) solution: I performed a clean install (archiving the previous system) and it worked great. I'm posting from the Quicksilver and it's running normal again. I just need to check that everything moved right from the old system to the new and then I can delete that archive.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

You're Welcome. I'm Glad You Were Able To Get It Fixed. Your Blood Pressure Is Probably Back To Normal.
Dickster

Back