G4 start-up drive difficulties...

digame

Registered
Equipment:
G4/933 Quicksilver, 768M RAM, OS 10.4.3
internal drive(s) 2- Seagate Barracuda 120G, 1- WDE 60G
FW external: 1- Seagate Barracuda 60G.

Primary start-drive (internal 60G WDE) running at 95% capacity, loaded only with OS and applications.

Local power failure (citywide) about two weeks past took system down, and it has never restarted correctly (from this drive) since.

Copied entire HD to separate file on one of the two 120G Seagates, and set DiskWarrior loose on the start-up... to no apparent avail: Will start up on 2nd internal 120G (OS 10.4.3), but remains unable to start up from the primary.

DiskWarrior advised "can't guarantee" complete rebuild, and asked for "contiguous 164M of space" needed to accomplish tasks. It HAD been demanding 167M, but after removing perhaps 1G of programs, it persists in presenting this message.

Query: Should I simply remove this primary drive, and install the new Barracuda 160G I've acquired in it's stead?

Then, please advise how I would go about reinstalling the complete drive image (all programs and preferences) archived on the other internal drive - and STILL managed to restore the system software? Or am I left with no other alternative than to wipe that 60G drive, and rebuild my programs on the 160G - one at a time? If this is my only alternative, how (and from where) do I "capture" all those preferences and profiles? And e-mail/bookmarks, etc?

Would I HAVE to reinstall the original system software, and "upgrade" my way to the present 10.4.3, or could I simply install the 10.4 off Tiger disks, and then run the updates? Will everything on the Quicksilver function correctly if I follow the latter course of action?

At this point, I see no need to reinstall OS 9.2.2, as I've all but abandoned any software that would require it's use.

I remember fondly the days of Conflict Catcher and how simple it was to achieve this: I'm fairly certain, however, with less that 10% available space on the original primary drive, there's little hope (or possibility) of an "archive and install" procedure?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated!

Thank you for your time and consideration...

Steve

digame@mchsi.com

Back