G4 Suddenly Shuts Down

idesign

Registered
My dual gig G4 running Tiger just started doing this recently. It just simply shuts down as if someone pulled the plug on it. It's hooked up to a 17" Apple Studio Display. I'd read a bit about radio frequency messing with the power button on the monitor, but I highly doubt that's the problem. I've been running this system since it was new 4-5 years or so ago with no problems.

I haven't done anything new recently to the computer, and the problem seems to be getting worse....Could it be the power supply? Anyone ever replace one?

Thanks....

I've heard this before, but it didn't come with a hardware test disk. I have one here at work that came with an older iMac.....

I have run TTP and all those components check out. It also seems to do it alot, but not exclusively, while burning cd's.....

this has been happening to me, too. it started just after the update to 10.4.6 -- i'm sure they are related. i think the apple updated messed something up. similar posts are popping up on apple forums and elsewhere on the net.

I am not connected to a UPS, but need to figure out what the deal is. Any one know which logs to check for overheating or anything else that might cause this? Tech tool pro checks out just fine.....

Your machine should have come with a hardware test disk. It's possible that the hardware test disk is actually not a separate disk but a partition on your software restore CD/DVD. It will say right on the disk. To boot from the hardware test partition, insert the CD, then startup with the OPTION key held down.

Check your cooling fans and vents. If I recall correctly, Mac OS X will shut-down the computer if it senses high temperatures on the processors or anywhere else on the logic board.

I have to clean-out my PowerMac G5, Dual 2.7GHz once a month because the beast moves so much air.

Do you know if it tests the power supply by chance or runs different than TTP? I'll have to dig around and find it.....

If I can't find my original, do you know if any of the APPLE HARDWARE TEST cd's will work? I know I have one at work that came with an imac.

chemistry_geek said:
Check your cooling fans and vents. If I recall correctly, Mac OS X will shut-down the computer if it senses high temperatures on the processors or anywhere else on the logic board.

I have to clean-out my PowerMac G5, Dual 2.7GHz once a month because the beast moves so much air.

I just took it out and cleaned the hell out of it about 20 minutes ago. It was full of that black linty crud....hopefully that helps.

Are their any type of utilities or logs that show temperature?

If you're running Tiger, download the 'iStat Pro' widget from versiontracker.com or Apple's download page. iStat Pro will show cooling fan rpms if your computer has that information, and it will definitely show CPU temperatures. My PowerMac G5 has 9 cooling fans, all RPMs are displayed in real time, along with CPU die temperatures, heat sinks, drive bays, etc... Just remember, your computer must have the sensors to report that information, otherwise, the widget won't be reporting much.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.....sounds like a pretty cool widget.

It hasn't crashed tonight so far since I gave it a good cleaning. It's pushing quite a bit of air now, so I've got my fingers crossed that it's that simple.

Damn, I guess my G4 doesn't have the fan and temp sensors.......but my fingers are crossed that it was a simple fix.

Back