G4 Upgrade Problems in B&W G3

ByerlyRips

Registered
This is so frustrating. I bought an XLR8 400 mhz G4 upgrade for my B&W. I applied the appropriate firmware upgrade, installed the ZIF, and booted into OS X. Now my Mac is running slower than my G3. Installed Powerlogix Cache Control software. Nothing. Zap PRAM. Nothing. Hours later I reinstall Jag to a separate drive. Still Nothing! After messing around with the cache control software I finally get it to run right. Restarted and back to being slow. Reinstalled cache control software and, for the moment, everything is working like it should. Who knows how long this will stay. Anybody know why this is happening? Anybody else had similar problems? I don't want to screw with this any longer.

Is your cache control software running at boot? you might want to check it out. As soon as you restart drop to the terminal and type "ps -aux" this should show all running processes. in the very last column you should see the location of the running process. if you see it in there it's running. if not you'll have to specify it as a system startup item.

Here is my terminal output after I have installed the cache control software. It seems to me that it's not installing everything correctly.

sh Install.sh
Removing any preexisting installation...
Password:
kextunload: /System/Library/Extensions/PowerLogixKEXT.kext: no such bundle file exists
can't add kext (file access/permissions).
rm: /System/Library/Extensions/PowerLogixKEXT.kext/: No such file or directory
unload kext /System/Library/Extensions/PLKEXT.kext/ failed (result code 0xe00002c2)
Installing plxcache...
mkdir: /usr/local/sbin: File exists
Installing Cache Control X...
Installing startup item...
Installing kernel extension...
Loading kernel extension...
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/PLKEXT.kext loaded successfully
Install.sh: rehash: command not found
Installation complete.

I also took the G4 out and put the original G3 back in its place. The G3 is running slow too. This doesn't make sense. Could their possibly be something wrong with my mobo or could something have gone wrong with the firmware update?

Originally posted by ByerlyRips
Here is my terminal output after I have installed the cache control software. It seems to me that it's not installing everything correctly.

sh Install.sh
Removing any preexisting installation...
Password:
kextunload: /System/Library/Extensions/PowerLogixKEXT.kext: no such bundle file exists
can't add kext (file access/permissions).
rm: /System/Library/Extensions/PowerLogixKEXT.kext/: No such file or directory
unload kext /System/Library/Extensions/PLKEXT.kext/ failed (result code 0xe00002c2)
Installing plxcache...
mkdir: /usr/local/sbin: File exists
Installing Cache Control X...
Installing startup item...
Installing kernel extension...
Loading kernel extension...
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/PLKEXT.kext loaded successfully
Install.sh: rehash: command not found
Installation complete.

Basicaly the only trouble it had was rehash. You're correct in that it didn't find it installed before you reran the installer. It looks like it installed the the kernel extension properly after installing. Did it run decent after you installed the software?

No, it didn't. Then after I restart my Mac the program gives bogus information like, unrecognized CPU, cache disabled, etc. The thing that I don't understand is that when I put my G3 back in, it too ran slow. If it was just a problem with the cache on the G4, then my G3 should run fine, right? I thought processor upgrades were supposed to be simple but apparently not. Should I try reinstalling the OS again?

I'd suggest two things:

1) Archive and install.
2) Try the Sonnet cache program (whatever it's called... versiontracker knows the asnwer.

I support a couple of G4-upgrades Biege G3's running jag, and have another at home (lots of XLR8 and Newer cards, too). Sometimes, a machine just won't like one of those two (Sonnet or Power Logix) but work with the other. I can't explain it. I hate that kind of voodoo-incantation answer, but what can I tell you? Same machine type, same upgrade card, each one "likes" a different cache enabler and crashes with the other... go figure. So maybe it's worth a try.

And the archive and install: this seems to fix lots of strange behavior, on machines with or without upgrades, so what the heck, it's just tme, right ;)

Back