G4 with tiger locks up ALL THE TIME

severn photo

Registered
I just got this computer from my brother who knows nothing about it......runs in the family! I'm using it for email and Photoshop CS2. That's about it. It locks up on average 3 times a day and when i try and open up folders, the previews take FOREVER. A folder with about 100 pictures in it (4mb a piece) takes almost 30 minutes just to load the preview. Here is what i guess i want to do. Wipe it all out and reload everything. Does anybody have a link to a site that would tell me how to do that, to make sure EVERYTHING is gone? I can't really find much on search engines. Thanks

This can be easily accomplished if you have the OS X system CDs. You can boot on the CD by holding down the C key and starting the machine up. Once it reboots - you can install the OS using the option of Erase and install.

Make sure you have 512 megs of ram. That along with a clean install, as the gentleman/lady ahead of me implied. I would go one step further and use a utility called "Disk Utility" found on your computer in the Utilities folder found in the Applications folder. You may need to put this Utility on a USB flash drive, as I am not sure if you will find that particular utility on the install CD. Use this Utility to reformat the drive, before you start an install.

Back