G5 dual 1.8ghz system freezing sporadically.

gparis

Registered
After searching around.. I find that the symptoms might point towards a logic board failure, however I am still not convinced that's the problem..

I hope to get at least 2 more years use out of this system.. I no longer use it for graphic or video intensive operations..

the problem:

Current problem.. / related to previous issues, I think

OS X Leopard - current update

system will freeze - mouse & keyboard input will not respond.. (infrequent)

before permission fix w- onyx & disk utility, but after OS update
- system would boot fine, however would not go into sleep mode

Previous problems

OS X Tiger

One day, this computer decided to freak out on me.

- Keyboard & Mouse would work/respond long enough to type in the login password, after initial load up.. no response from keyboard/mouse

- upon hard reset, things would function well for awhile then freeze up and either a) repeat the above issue, or b) go into kernel panic screen

- Sometimes I would get the "no hard-drive" symbol, system would not boot

- Rarely, system would lock up and fans would rev up fast & loud

- system would not go into or wake from sleep mode.

Steps I took to solve/diagnose this issuee:

- switching USB input ports

- Removing / replacing RAM

- Replacing main HD

- Upgrading OS from Tiger to Leopard

- Running Onyx & disk utility to repair permissions.

- Ran Hardware diagnostic CD/DVD - Nothing wrong was found

Summary[/B

I'm not sure what other steps I can take on my own to diagnose the issue or determine what's wrong. The system certainly seems stable since the OS update & permission repair, however it's still early.

Some suggest a power supply going bad, some suggest a bad logic board..

You suspect hardware. You must look to hardware for the solution. The first thing that I would suspect is the motherboard battery. With a computer as old as yours, the battery probably needs to be replaced. However, there may be other problems. My advice to you is to take your computer to a local shop that is familiar with Macs. Thoroughly describe your problems. The technician will diagnose and repair the problems that he finds. It is likely that he will replace the motherboard battery with any other repairs.

Back