g5 falling into sleep randomly

reaper

Registered
i have an imac g5 that has been falling into sleep randomly at times. the first time this happened was when i tried playing the Nanosaurs game that came with the computer. i played for 10 or 15 minutes before it went into sleep mode, and then when i woke it up and tried playing again it would fall back into sleep right away. i havent used that game recently, but it has also fell into sleep while using the dvd rippng program handbrake. it has also fallen into sleep while running other programs, though i do not specifically remember which. after it falls asleep, and after i wake it back up, it often falls right back into sleep mode and i need to close most programs to get it to stay awake. any ideas? it came with 256 mem and i added another 512 months ago. i dont know if that has anything to do with it but thats the only mod ive made so the rest is just stock. thanks for any advice you can give

Try this - I don't know the URL in the Apple Support pages for this, so go to the Apple site, click on the Support tab, enter info for your computer model, then in the search window, type in "Reset SMU or SMC". Or vice versa, I forgot if you type in the model first, or after the search starts, it may ask for computer type. "Early 2006 iMac" is code for the new dual processor iMac. SMU is System Management Unit, in newer G5s, SMC is Sysetm Management Controller, for earlier G5s. Same thing. Among a lot of other things, they control the sleep function. Hope this helps.

Welcome to MacOSX.com.

Did you check the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences?

If not:

1. Click the Apple menu.
2. Click System Prefeernces
3. Click Energy Saver. Make sure the Sleep tab is selected (blue).
4. Look at the top slider. Set it to never.
(5. I don't recommend setting the bottom slider, display sleep, to Never. Instead, set it to 15 or 20 minutes. Shorter if you can stand it. This will extend the life of your display.)

If your Energy Saver system sleep setting is set to never and it's still going to sleep, call Apple right away for help. That would likely be a hardware problem.

Doug

dktrickey said:
If your Energy Saver system sleep setting is set to never and it's still going to sleep, call Apple right away for help. That would likely be a hardware problem.
Doug

yeah, its set to never sleep, always has been

dalemeyn said:

i've looked into this and really i am not comfortable doing it in my dorm room nor do i have the time.

i might end up bringing it into an apple store, but then again, this only happens rarely of late. hasn't happened in a month, but for all i know itll happen again tomorrow

Hi,
I have the exact same problem. My Powerbook G4 (1,67Ghz), is going to sleep randomly and for no reason. Sometimes I even have trouble waking it again.

I already tried the enerysaver, re-installing OS X, resetting PRAM, NVRAM and PMU. None of these have solved the problem :-(!

Does anybody have any further solutions???????

I was just given the advice to check my heat sensors and discovered that its registereing 206°C on the trackpad temperature :-((((!
Is there anyway to disable this sensor? or any other way to avoid an expensive repair by apple itself?
thanks.

Back