G5 fan noise

Actually, just unpacked 2 more 1.6's, and they are definately louder than my own. However, they still seem to perform as well. Hmm.

for the record, i've been running some pretty intensive experiements on my dual 2 (the kind that run for a couple of days) and the fans haven't kicked up yet.

the only time my fans have gone nuts was when i was playing with the hardware test. when those fans get going it sounds like a jet engine!

I put my ear to a 1.8 at CompUSA today, and I could barely hear anything coming out of the grill. Well, I could hear it, but when I moved more than a couple inches away, the sound vanished.

If you boot into single-user mode, you will turn the fans on full blast. I suggest you do this if it starts to get really hot where you're sitting, and then position the back of the computer to face you.

arden said:
I put my ear to a 1.8 at CompUSA today, and I could barely hear anything coming out of the grill. Well, I could hear it, but when I moved more than a couple inches away, the sound vanished.

If you boot into single-user mode, you will turn the fans on full blast. I suggest you do this if it starts to get really hot where you're sitting, and then position the back of the computer to face you.

Update: Today my power supply unit including the two fans have been replaced and since then my office "rests in peace". Amazing how silent a G5 can be. Wow.

So, my advice to all G5 users: check if your Mac makes funny noises and have the power supply unit replaced if necessary. It really makes a difference.

I'm really glad to hear that. The one I heard was so quiet, I was wondering why you had problems. Good to know what the solution is.

Now, where did I put that mattress with the $2000 in it? ;)

Chris Belwinds said:
Update: Today my power supply unit including the two fans have been replaced and since then my office "rests in peace". Amazing how silent a G5 can be. Wow.

So, my advice to all G5 users: check if your Mac makes funny noises and have the power supply unit replaced if necessary. It really makes a difference.

Good news! Enjoy!

Damn! Thank God! I thought I was the only one. I too have a G5 1.6, and I swear that thing is louder then my P.O.S. PC with 3 fans. I'll definately call Apple about this one.

Thanks for the info Chris!

FYI: I just got my G5 back from hardware service. They replaced all 4 fans, reloaded 10.3, and tried to recalibrate the thermal management system. No good. They finally broke down and swapped out the motherboard. Wow! What a difference! Can't hear it at all.

So, power supply may not be the only thing wrong. If you can hear your G5 from more then 3' away, call it in. I'm glad I did.

I too had, er, have, a noisy dual 2 G5. Hardware test gave a message that there was a fan problem: yeah, the problem was that they were running and I had not even yet run a single program!

I opened the machine, reseated everything that could be without tools; checked that the fans were not loose; closed everything up and that was that. Then the other noise became apparent.

The BTO Radeon 9800 card has a fan noise that is unbearable, emitting a rather annoying hum. (I know it is that fan because I stopped it -- very briefly! -- with my finger.) I've read on a Apple forum about someone with the same problem and when Apple reluctantly replaced the card the noise was the same. The amount of noise is not the problem now; it is the frequency (i.e. pitch) that will drive me mad. Mad I tell you, MAD! Bwahahaha...

Make sure that your G5 is "thermally calibrated". G5's are well built to be whisper quite. Thus they have several thermal zones and fans come on when they need to cool a particular zone.

So there is no reason the fans should be on.

Second, as many have suggested make sure that the pastic panel is propoerly seated, if it is not the G5 will have a red LED on and all the fans will be ful speed.

For Thermal calibration, get a utility available on apple's web site. Thermal Diagnostic utility. You will have to spend about 25 minutes thermally calibrating the unit.

Hope thsi helps.

Regards,

Adi

Chris Belwinds said:
My new G5 1.6 Ghz (Combo) is way too loud as far as I am concerned. Even my wife's standard PC is quieter.

Have any of you had similar experiences? What can I do to locate the noise and to solve the problem?

Back