G5 Lock up issues

dskwared

Registered
Hello all! This is my first post here and although I tried searching first, I didn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm having a bit of trouble with a new PowerMac G5 2.5 GHz Quad I have for work. The OS has been locking up here lately. (Once when using Final Cut Pro, Several times when using my external hard drive, and a few times when inserting CD/DVDs or a USB Thumb Drive).

The only thing I think I can attribute this to was the installation of the 10.4.6 update OR the installation of a program called "Default Apps." This new app shows up in the system prefs and I don't know how to uninstall/remove it. Should I try to remove the update? Remove this software app? Just wipe it clean and reinstall everything?

I guess I'm just looking for a point in the right direction or some advice to my situation. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Well reinstalling is a bit drastic -- It's kinda like sticking a band-aid on the problem.

Have you installed any new fonts? Do you use a lot of fonts? If so, are you using a font-management application like Suitcase?

See my post about fonts at the following link: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1300793&postcount=24

Try disabling any new applications you've recently added. You might also want to start up with the SHIFT key held down -- all the way through login until your desktop is fully loaded -- this prevents the system from starting any third-party applications, additions, etc.

I'll give that a try sometime. I just did a complete system virus scan (which took forever) but I didn't see it catching or fixing anything. However since I scanned, I have yet to get the gray screen of death! I'm still perplexed, but so far, everything seems to be running smoothly. (I just hope I don't jinx myself now...)

Well, I've been a Windows guy :eek: for as long as I can remember. It's just a default thing for me to try. Besides, I get free AV software and updates because my company has a deal with Symantec. But still, I haven't had any troubles since the scan. I know it sounds weird, but it's been working great here lately. Just yesterday I imported 4 miniDV tapes worth of footage, compiled the video footage, and exported each movie to DVD. (And I had to make 3 copies of each individual movie.)

I'll still try Chris' suggestions when I get around to it. Thanks again for all your help.

Okay, I know I'm reviving an old post here, but I wanted to let everyone know that this issue has been resolved. I called AppleCare about the problem, and a technician came out, replaced my RAM & Logic Board. Ever since then, the G5 has been humming along just fine.

Back