G5 Locks up and Crashes

cbojanower

Registered
For the past week or so I have been plagued by some very serious hard crashes on my G5. I’ve been getting one of three things happening, the system simply freezes, I get the gray, “You Must Reboot” screen or a tiny black window opens in the upper left corner of the screen and the system freezes.

Other symptoms I saw during this problem time. When I tried to format an external USB 2.0 drive using disk utility, it would hang and fail on the format, same drive plugged into my PowerBook formatted fine. Most of the times it hung up, seemed to be while I was using FireFox, but then again, I use it the most of any of my programs, so its hard to say if this is related.

While they may have been happening prior to installing 10.4.3, (FireFox would hang at times) they got real bad after upgrading. I tired the NVRAM Reset, fixed permissions and repair disk utilities. None of them seemed to help.

The crash logs didn’t really show much, and I ran Tech Tool 4.0.6 and it passed all the tests.

Next I reformatted my second drive and reinstalled the OS from my original G5 Disks (10.3.5), Reinstalled Tiger and upgraded to 10.4.2. The crashes were less, but it still locked up 3 times during use yesterday.

The system is a Dual G5- 2.0, Currently running 10.4.2 with 2.5 GB RAM

I am thinking it is Hardware or RAM related at this point, (Unless 10.4.3 somehow did some physical changes to the system) however other than Tech Tool what should I use to test this? I am looking for hints of where to go from here.

My guess would be faulty RAM as well. I would actually try removing each RAM chip in turn (while the computer is off, of course) and booting up to see if it performs normally. With any luck, you'll narrow it down to a stick of RAM giving problems.

While you're in there, make sure all the cards and cables are plugged in snugly.

Also, have you made any changes to your system around the time it started failing?

Definitely sounds hardware related. Like symphonix said, a simple loose cable, faulty RAM or a card not in properly will cause your symptoms.

Back