G5 Monitor Freakout

rowdybarber

Registered
Hi all.

Here's a weird one. Right out of the box, the G5 iMac (iSight) began to exhibit strange video artifacts on screen during boot and wake from sleep: The first 30 seconds or so of disk activity, the montior resolution is fuzzed out/staticky with horizontal 'artifacts' on the screen--3 docks, 3 finder menus, etc. There are also thin black lines (vertical). After a half a minute or so the crisp, colorful desktop (default iMac pattern) snaps into place...sometimes screen glitches out again momentarily. All this is limited to the first 40 seconds of operation or wake up. It happens randomly but consistently--7 out of 10 times.

System prefs for monitors are set to factory default. 1gb ram. This is a brand new machine, not a refurb.

Power supply is good (running through surge protector). I do NOT a have an active Tesla coil, military radar dish, or commercial cell phone tower mounted in my office. In fact, the iMac is plugged in and sits right where the old faithful bubble-butt eMac sat for the past 3 years and never presented this problem.

Apple phone support instructed me to take it in for service.

The guys at the Mac store said they ran all software + hardware diagnostics, set energy saver to sleep (drive + monitor) after 1 minute and ran tests for 2 days...they claim it never repeated these monitor problems for them, and looked at me cross-eyed when I picked up my computer. I offered to show them a quicktime movie I shot of the effect with my video camera...but they declined.

I brought iMac home, pulled out of the box, plugged in and...

yep, same monitor problems.

Second phone call to Apple results in them suggesting I take into a different shop for a second opinion.

In the meantime I'm going to try and set up in differnt rooms in my house. But, the electric here is good and consistent. No lights flicker, curcuit panels rarely trip, etc.

Anyone else experiencing or heard of similar G5 monitor problems?

Thanks,

RB

Back