G5 Problems with Windows server

Russity

Registered
Hey people,

We run a small little design studio down here in sunny Melbourne and are having lots of little but really annoying problems with our server.

We run about 10 macs, ranging from G4's to Imacs to a mac mini and my own G5 tower. Unfortunately we hold all our data on a Windows server and it seesm to us that these problems are realted to the macs reading the info from the server. My G5 in particular has a shed load of issues with file naming, speed of copying files, icon recognition, not seeing files when other macs on the network can, not recognising labeling of folders or files, placing icons in every folder on the server that contain no information.

My G5 is running 10.2.3 has a 2.3Ghz processor, with 1.5G of RAM but can take up to two mins to copy 100mb to the server!!!!

The server is a Small Business Server, running Windows 2000 5.00.2195 with service Pack 4. It has an Intel(R) Pentium(R)111 CPU Family. It runs at 1133Mhz, is AT/AT compatible and has 500MB af Ram and is 500GB large.

I won't bore you all anymore with the other crappy little problems we find we have with this set up, but I was just wondring if anyone knew of any problems that have been found and if there are compatibility problems with this type of set up. It's driving me MAD!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated (really, it will).

Russell.

First thing to check with the slow copy is the speed of your network connection. Open a terminal and type ifconfig. If it shows the active connection running at 100MB Half Duplex you are probably connected to a 100MB Full Duplex port and your G5s speed is network ethernet settings are set to Automatic. For some reason when set to this Macs detect it as 100MB connections incorrectly. Change this to manual and 100MB Full Duplex and things should speed up.

Back