G5 shuts down when a folder is opened

davage

Registered
Hi,
I have a strange problem that just started this morning. Whenever I try to open a folder on the desktop, or click on the finder icon in the dock, i get a translucent grey screen that slides down over the desktop and a message that my mac needs to be restarted. As you can imagine, its pretty frustrating and is making life hard when I'm working. Anyone have any ideas?
(this is happening on my work computer- a Quad 2.5 G5 with 4 gb of RAM running 10.4.7)
Thanks,
Dave

that is a kernel panic. (the exponentially rarer mac version of bsod)

there are several potential causes of this, but my gut is telling me the hard drive could be failing, i'd do a test on it with disk utility(in the macos cd that came with the system) or apple hardware test to make sure, and get another one and rescue your data right now if that's the case.

The only other potential cause i can think of would be file system corruption , which isnt as bad as a failed disk and is pretty rare, in which case reconstruction would require something like diskwarrior, which is about 60% successful in cases like that.

If disk utility does not indicate drive failure but raises flags on the actual partition, then diskwarrior is probably your best bet.

thanks for the reply!
i ran disk utility and it repaired a whole stack of permissions, anmd now the problem seems to have dissappeared. So i can get back to work, but i'm still a bit worried about the whole thing. is there any way i can be sure what was causing this, and should i consider replacing the hard drive (even though this machine is only a couple of weeks old)?
thanks again,
dave

i'd just run a hardware test on disk utility or with the cd's that come with it..

if no flags are raised then it shouldn't be an issue.

Unusual.. i guess the system thought it wasn't able to access itself and.. kernel panic XD

Back