G5 Tower: Menu selection & typing delay

ldichiara

Registered
one of my designers is working on a G5 Tower which has two hard drives (a main and a scratch disk for photoshop) as well as 3.5GB of Ram installed...so I have sufficient power behind the workstation but for some reason (even before the additional ram and drive space was installed) when he works in his files, sometimes he is experiencing a long (5-7 second) delay in typing...and the same is holding true with the menu bar selections.
We are working in an environment which the network we are on is not controlled by my company (we share a space with a corporation) so I know that this has routinely been very problematic at times...could this be related to this?
Is it possibly a corrupt font file? I have optimized the drives, repaired permissions and run all sorts of diagnostic software on the machine..to no avail. Any ideas as to where I might start looking to find the root of this issue?

Thanks for your help guys (and gals)
The machine is running 10.4.7

Lenny DiChiara

Sounds like it's something OS level. My initial suggestions would proceed as follows to try and track down the problem:
1. Run disc utility and repair permissions.
2. Download Onyx http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx.html and use it to clear your font caches and maybe even completely redo the prebinding (Optimising).
3. Check if you are using any Application Enhancer (APE) haxies (such as Unsanity's FontCard) that could be not behaving properly – though usually these are not a problem).

Let us know if any of these give you a result.

Run Disk Warrior on your startup drive and your scratch drive. Short of that, as mentioned above, run Disk Utility and repair permissions and disk. See what happens.

Back