G5 Ultra

theyallfalll

Registered
It was my week to purchase my new G5 2.5 and as i called around the local apple stores (we have 3 in a 20 mile radius) i was quickly disappointed to find out they are all out of stock. So i proceed to ask when they expect a shipment and they couldnt really give me a straight answer (typical apple store responses), but then i called my last hope, the third store on my list, the south coast store. I was expecting the same response, "Not sure when they are gonna get here or they're in high demand." type answers, but to my surprise the helpful employee said, "We are supposed to get a shipment sometime this week. Would you like me to take your name and number and if we get one in i could call you and let you know." I said, "That's perfect." I then gave him my info. This was monday mind you, next comes tuesday and around 11:30am i get the call. "Hello this is so and so from the South Coast Apple store and we just got a G5 2.5 in." "No way! That was fast." I said. He then says, "But, the thing is it has the upgraded graphics card. It has the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra. So its more expensive." I only have so much money so i was quick to ask, "How much?" He responds with, "It also has a built in blue tooth module so the price is $3,499.00" $500 more then i planned on spending. So I ask if more were coming in and he says that ya, more should trickle in. I told him i needed to sleep on it. he said ok. So to make a long story short i slept on it and called the apple store first thing Wednesday morning to see if they had sold it. They didnt , so i put it on hold. As i went in last night to pick it up i find out what i am getting is a new stock build, specifically built for the 30" displays:

• Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
• 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
• 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
• Bluetooth Module
• 56k V.92 modem
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - U.S. English

Price: $3,499.00

So i bought it and went home happy. Now i need to save up for the 30". BTW i am a much better talker then typer and i am way better designer then writer. thanks and good day.

You'll want at least 1GB of ram on that beast for maximum performance. I have a dual 1.8GHz with 1.25 GB and it runs extremely well. I usually have 10-15 programs open constantly, and when I'm actually doing work I have maybe 15-20 apps open, and no slow down is noticed at all. Congrats on the purchase! :)

I also have a G5 1.8 but with only 256 MB :(

My extra gig is coming tomorrow. :)

I'm going to save up for the 30 inch monitor too. Or, at least I wish I was :(.

Doug ;)

I did add another 512 at purchase time. Had to go for 1g of ram. I cant wait to get home and use it. mY 1G G4 at work isnt cutting it..... ha ha ah. J/K. 30" soon or maybe 2 X 23". Ha ha ha

i'm in 100% dream mode here, but hear me out anyway... :)

If you've got the dual card, save yourself a few dollars and get *2* 20" displays. Then you end up with 40 effective inches, for less than the 30" display will run you. then you can take advantage of that phat graphics card you paid for.

With the money you save not getting the 30 inch, you can up your ram to a respectable level too.

i'll just live vicariously...carry on.

You are lucky. I put in an order for virtually the same system as yours in
early August and it finally arrived last week. The difference is that I did get the 30 inch Cinema HD screen. Its amazing! Btw I second the suggestion to get more RAM.

would be nice if you could post some pics of your system matchbox - i just want to know how it REALLY looks in someones office, livingroom or whatever..

alex.

Cameras are everywhere. (No this far, this could have been a mi5moav post, I know.) No really: Everyone's got a digital camera. Or knows someone who has one. So: Take those pictures, already. ;)

Back