G5 updates...When?

garymum4d

Idiot
When is a REALISTIC date for speed bumped G5's?

I need to place an order for 3, but want to hold off for the udates. But I cant hold off for too long!

Looking at WWDC for the announcement and then, who knows when they'll ship. Remember, last time people had to wait until Oct/Nov for their machines

on the other hand apple showed they kinda improved the time gap between announcement and shipping. Take a look at the recently updated powerbooks..

... and then maybe get the older ones cheaper, even though it'd still take some time before the new ones ship.

Ceterum censeo: Apple should update the PowerMacs DEFINITELY more often than once a year. The 'upgrade' of the 1.8 GHz to a dual doesn't really count here, because the highend machine wasn't changed.

If, say, Apple releases a 3.0 GHz this Summer, I _bet_ more people would've bought a 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5 in the first half year than people bought 2.0 GHz now. I mean, look at your question... Wouldn't it be easier now if there were 2.3 and 2.5 GHz machines around for you to buy? The step wouldn't seem so hard...

Zammy-Sam said:
on the other hand apple showed they kinda improved the time gap between announcement and shipping. Take a look at the recently updated powerbooks..

True, but there was no "announcement" for the updated PowerBooks -- one day, they just showed up on Apple's page. So, it seems as though Apple was already ready to ship PowerBooks the minute they showed up on Apple's page.

The G5 is different -- it was announced at WWDC to create hype, then shipped months later. That's different than the bumped PowerBooks.

All in all, expect Steve to announce new G5s at the upcoming WWDC in June, and expect them to ship a month or so later (so you've got a while to wait).

No offense, but it's gonna be tough to believe that new G5s will ship at the end of this month without a link or proof of some sort. It's also hard to believe since the consensus is that Steve will probably announce new G5s at the upcoming WWDC, which doesn't even take place until the end of June.

G5s* will ship before the end of may. <-----(period)

*G5s shipping refers to new never been released to the public without disclosure in same enclosure bringing closure to the issue

:)

I wonder whether we'll read on macrumors.com's Page 2 about 'a source claiming knowledge' about 'new G5s before the end of May' or something after this, well, unsupported statement.

I second the "wait for WWDC" recommendation.

I've got to believe that there will be at least a modest speed bump on the G5s then. I have absolutely no evidence for this, however. Other than to point out that a full year with absolutely no speed bump would be horrible. No way Steve lets that happen.

If you do end up buying now, don't beat yourself up over it. The current G5s seem like very impressive machines.

macosrumors.com is reporting that apple will announce the 970FX (2.0-2.6GHz, later possibly 2.8GHz) and the 975 (3GHz) at the same time - in about 6 weeks or so - i.e. WWDC they also speculate that the 2.0-2.6GHz machines will probably be avalible at that time but the 3GHz (975) probably wont ship until mid september. (which many people expected)

fully story at - http://www.macosrumors.com/51104L3.php

Back