G5 vs. 17" PowerBook vs. 17" iMac

pensfan

Registered
I know this has been debated at other times, but I'm serously considering the purchase of either a low-end G5, a 17-inch PowerBook or a 17-inch flat-panel iMac.
Right now, I have a 500 MHz G3 iMac with a 20 GB hard drive and 1 GB of RAM. I have an external CD-RW burner (QUE!)
Anyway, I mostly use the computer at home, but I love the thought of the portability, which makes me lean toward the laptop.
But then I think that I could get the low-end G5 with a flat monitor and that's attractive.
And since budget is somewhat of an issue, the iMac with a SuperDrive and upgraded RAM is attractive for that reason.
I am a sports writer at a local daily newspaper and I host a radio sports talk show, so most of what I do on the computer is Internet, word processing and iTunes type of stuff.
Given all of that, any suggestions on which way I should go?
And, a second question, since the PowerBook comes with the 512 MB of RAM, is it worth the upgrade to the 1 GB that I currently have? I hate the thought of going backwards

For what you're using it for, even the iMac would be overkill. I just got one last week (upgraded from a G4 700 iMac), and it's FAST. For the kind of money you'd spend on the 17" PB/G5, you could get yourself an iMac AND an iBook.

Right now, I have a 500 MHz G3 iMac with a 20 GB hard drive and 1 GB of RAM. I have an external CD-RW burner (QUE!)

If I had that, I'd definitely consider an iBook 900mhz. It'd be a low-cost move-up.

What about an eMac? or even a low spec G4 Tower.

Yeah, they'd be an improvement over what he has now, but going from a desktop to a laptop is a greater change than going from a G3 to a G4 system, I say.

Give what you do;

I am a sports writer at a local daily newspaper and I host a radio sports talk show

I would definitely go portable with a PowerBook.

Here's another for the Powerbook or as Dusky suggested, a souped-up iBook. What front-end system do you use at your paper? Depending on that (and how cranky the IT dudes are), you could probably be able to dial in or use your laptop as your main writing instrument (you'd probably need Word as many paginated papers are using that, and yes I'm in the J biz).
And there has to be something said for surfing in bed or reading e-mails out by the pool (love that AirPort) sans wires.

Originally posted by pensfan
I know this has been debated at other times, but I'm serously considering the purchase of either a low-end G5, a 17-inch PowerBook or a 17-inch flat-panel iMac.
Anyway, I mostly use the computer at home, but I love the thought of the portability, which makes me lean toward the laptop.
But then I think that I could get the low-end G5 with a flat monitor and that's attractive.
And since budget is somewhat of an issue, the iMac with a SuperDrive and upgraded RAM is attractive for that reason.
I am a sports writer at a local daily newspaper and I host a radio sports talk show, so most of what I do on the computer is Internet, word processing and iTunes type of stuff.
Given all of that, any suggestions on which way I should go?
And, a second question, since the PowerBook comes with the 512 MB of RAM, is it worth the upgrade to the 1 GB that I currently have? I hate the thought of going backwards

Although, I'm somewhat biased to my following reply I think it is pretty close to your situation... ;)

Go for the 12" or 15" PowerBooks! Make sure that they have >=512MB of RAM and everything else will be history!

I said that I'm biased because I own a TiBook 1GHz/DVD-R/512MB! :D Just to get things straight: Yes, I'm going to buy a new G5! Yes, iBook could be enough for the things that you need in a computer! Yes, the low end 12" aBook is the best solution for you (and deep inside me, if when I got my TiBook, the 12" was available I would buy that instead)!

But still, I think for a portable the 15" is a better solution... It gives you faster network, the ability to plug 2nd DVI/ADC monitor, bigger screen (which actually is very close to 17" Apple Display in size), it is faster than the 12" overall and all these while talking about the 15"/867MHz! :p

As for iMac, I would simply pass that for a G4 based PowerMac and >=17" Apple Display! As for the G5, I think it is an overkill for the things you want to do!

Anyways, portables are awesome IMO! Damn, I must have :confused: you even more! :D

Back