G5 vs G4

Originally posted by superfula
I think the biggest misconception here, is that 64bit will increase performance in ALL apps, which is simply not true. A typical enduser has no use for 64bit at this time, simply because no enduser apps will take advantage of the 64bit info.

The biggest change will be in audio and video editing apps, games, and other complex programs.

The biggest advantage of 64bit-ness is that it can take advantage of practically an unlimited amount of ram....multiple terrabytes, whereas 32bit is limited to 4gig. Apps will be written to put more of the app in memory, which will VASTLY increase speeds
Regardless, in the future everything will be written to take advantage of 64-bit memory addressing, as everything is written to take advantage of 32-bit addressing now. The G5 provides better longevity because of this, whether or not you see a significant performance increase.
I also don't see Apple coming out with a full 64bit OS until next October with 10.4, or later. With a lack of optical and hd expansion slots, and the G5 being HIGHLY overpriced in the single machines, a dual G4 is a no brainer. If you must have a G5, at least wait until rev2 and get a dual G5
I really don't think the G5's are overpriced, considering everything you get in it. Try configuring a Dell or a Gateway similarly to a G5, and you will typically get something over $4000.

Back