g5 won't boot up

matt9b

Registered
My dual G5 won't boot up. It makes a loud whirring noise which gets louder. I haven't installed any new hardware or software. The symptomns are not always the same each time I turn it on, the only constant is that it doesn't boot up. Sometimes a white screen, sometimes the screen doesn't turn on, sometimes it boots up fine, sometimes a white screen with text like a dos prompt. What do I do? Thanks

i had the same thing with my iMac G5

lemme ask my friend about the text.

okay, I just turned on the mac again and now it has a lot of text on screen "unresolved kernel..." ...loads more text... "panic: we are hanging here...", and then a restart computer message in 4 different languages appears ontop of all that text "...button for several seconds or press the restart button." . I have read the other threads and tried the fsck method, but it returns an error that says something like this: "disk is journalled. unable to check volume". I have tried it several times with "fsck -y", "fsck -f" but all return the same error. Please help. Thanks :)

the boot up problem appears to have been fixed by taking faulty crucial ballistix ram out of the machine.

Back