G5 won't sleep/shutdown... Fans spin up

cwyoung

Registered
I have a G5 that is about 5 years old... For some reason it will not sleep or shutdown... When I try to do either one of those actions it does simi-sleep/shut down, but not completely. By that I mean it sounds like the hard drive spins down but then fans still are running. After about two minutes the fans spin way up and the Mac won't start back up... I have to pull the power on my battery backup. I took it to the shop (Not an apple store) and they reinstalled the OS for me and put some new ram in. Supposedly they "Fixed' the problem... Well, not so much.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Thanks guys so much!

Your friend,

Caleb

I have the same exact problem ... please help. First, my G5 stopped going to sleep when it was supposed to. It's set to sleep after 30 minutes but it doesn't. Now, all of a sudden, I can't even tell it to sleep. When I tell it to sleep, the monitor sleeps but the hard drive does not. Then, the fans start going crazy and I have to shut it down manually. Any ideas? Please help.

Also, some previous forum posts on Mac sleeping problems have recommended that users look at their console utility. My console utility does not have a message since March 18 2009. The message, repeated over and over again on that date, is
(1) Sender[PID]: com.apple.SystemStarter[31] --Message: The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec()
(2) Same sender -- Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.
wtf? The same message is repeated over and over again.

OK, I feel like a numbskull. I just turned off my always-on printer and scanner, and bingo, the computer goes to sleep when I tell it to, i.e., when I select "sleep" from the pulldown menu. However, it still won't go to sleep automatically when the time I set in "Energy Saver" settings is up.

Back