G6's and G5 iMacs on 24th Jan

steven_lufc said:
macosrumors.com reports of an anonymous report regarding these. How reliable is this rumour site?? would be cool if true.. :)

http://www.macosrumors.com/

Well, like any rumors site, it's hit or miss. The G5 iMac is supposed to be an anniversary model, akin to the 20th Anniversary Mac (according to Mac OS Rumors). I doubt that this will be something highly available, as it would take away from the Power Mac G5 selling now.

Mac OS Rumors also mentions that Apple is working with prototypes of the G6, so I doubt that anything will come out in the near future...

We won't see a G6 for a while, but we will likely see G5 improvements very soon. If the PowerMacs jump up beyond 2.5-2.6 GHz, the iMac might get a 1.8-2.0 GHz G5. We'll see ...

There is no prototype of G6 as I know. They are working on G5 from 90nm to 35nm.. I believe we will have G6 next two years. :eek:

Dunno, indications seem to suggest that the G6 will be 2005. Anyway, the rumour implies that the form of 20th anniversary iMac will not change in form (although may well have a G5 inside)... I find this hard to believe. Surely Jobs would want Ives to unleash his power on the 20th anniversary Mac, and, could they get a G5 so soon into an iMac case such as the current one?

IBM has had prototypes of the G6 for a while, or what we think will be the G6 anyway. Now, that doesn't mean Apple is playing with it...they may or may not be. But Jobs did say 3ghz within a year when he announced the G5 and the only way they'll hit that most likely is with the PPC980 architecture. The logical thing to do is remane the chip the G6, but who knows...maybe it'll be called a second generation G5.

Rumor sites are usually nothing more than pure hope, guesses, or educated predictions. Every now and then they manage to get close to something, but usually not.

G5 imac has been trying to be made for a while, but how can u compress that huge computer, into a tiny little footprint?

i love u

a G5 in an iMac. Wow..makes my little 800Mhz iMac look smaller and smaller everytime I hear about iMac upgrades. :p Hehe, but it's all good! Just means that the iMac will be that much better when I get a new one! :D

A G6 after the G5's been out for so little time? I highly doubt it. Apple managed to compress the G5's to form a G5 Xserve, but those are more expensive and are targeted at server use. The iMac may be doable, perhaps with a few big holes punched in the front, but we won't see them for a while, at least not before the G5 Powerbook.

And stop whining about your "slow" 800 Mhz G4 iMac. I'm still using a 400 Mhz G3 iMac. :p

I would assume that if they cram a G5 into the iMac, the case will probably come in a new form-factor to meet the cooling requirements of even the 90nm G5 chip.

As for G6, I wouldn't expect to see those until mid-2005 at the earliest. The G5 chip will have a fairly decent lifespan.

I have no insider knowledge so this is my own speculation, but I think it'll be music-related. How about $49 off the mini-iPods and the announcement that the iTMS is adding the Beatles? It'll be before they ship the pods out, go in touch with the Pepsi promotion and in time for iLife/GarageBand to start shipping.

A G5 at 1.6 GHz wouldn't be more difficult to cool than a G4 in an iMac in it's current form factor. The G5 PowerMacs have such an elaborate cooling system because they were built to scale. The need to be able to accommodate those 3 GHZ and above G5/G6 es in the next two/three years. Actually at equal clock-speed the 130nm G5 is cooler than the G4 and the 90nm G5 even more so.

I don't think you'll be seeing the Beatles in the iTMS any time soon, thanks to Apple Computers's *fantastic* relationship with Apple Corp.

Back