Gaim

Orbit

MacMan
Hey i recently downloaded gaim and it said that it needed to be compiled (i dont know how to do that) so if anyone alredy had a compiled version of gaim the could email me or upload so i could download would be great

Do you know what language it is and if you can simply use Project Builder?

I tried to compile Gaim some time ago with a lot of trouble even with the Fink version then the Fink version was repaired (i guess) and it works fine till today you can see what I was doing Here

I hope this helps and let me know if you can compile the newest version without Fink...

THX...

Hey I know nothing about compilling and im not sure wat lanuage its in (and i dont have the dev tools)

i'm assuming you uncompressed the file. somewhere in the folder there is probably a makefile and a readme or install file.

the readme and/or install file will tell you how to proceed. odds are good you will have to use the 'make' command.

i'd be surprised if you had to know what language it is in. however, you will need the developer tools to compile it. if you don't have them go to the apple site and become a developer. you can do it for free. then you can download the dev tools.

since you seem to be new to the developer idea, i HIGHLY recommend you get fink and do it that way.
http://fink.sourceforge.net

i'm curious. the only peeps i know that use gaim are into linux/unix and are reasonably knowledgable when it comes to programming. not to knock you, but you don't seem to fit that profile, so what makes you want to use gaim.

oh, i'm not sure if this is bad policy, but if you set up an account you can have someone ssh into your machine and do it for you. make sure it is NOT an admin account though!

ok, i just downloaded the source and tried to compile it. if you aren't familiar with linux/unix development, don't do this. there are lot's of dependencies you probably won't have unless you have installed gtk apps before. you will also need X11. if you don't know what i'm talking about you are a bit out of your realm here. the first thing you probably need to do it get X11 from apple and then get fink. fink will settle the dependencies for you.

ok i wont even try it then ill just stick with proteus.

I just wanted to try gaim and see wat it is like but it sounds a bit hard

thanks for the help

Back