Gameing on the iMac

Noonster

Registered
Quick question...

The iMac is obviously widescreen but most games arnt...

1) If the game is not widescreen, do you just get boarders down the left and right??
2) If yes to the above, Can you play in windowed mode instead so you dont have to look at the black borders??
3) Which games you know of ARE widescreen, as when i get the machine i wanna do a little showing off - hehehe :)

1. Yes, you will get black borders which are really fine. It would be slightly confusing to have your desktop in the background.
2. Many games support the option of windowed and full screen mode. But as I said in the previous point: it really looks ok with those black borders.
3. I know about the quake3 engine to support this full view. You will need to edit a cfg file. Another shareware game would be Cro-Mag Rally, iirc.

Noonster said:
Quick question...

The iMac is obviously widescreen but most games arnt...

1) If the game is not widescreen, do you just get boarders down the left and right??
2) If yes to the above, Can you play in windowed mode instead so you dont have to look at the black borders??
3) Which games you know of ARE widescreen, as when i get the machine i wanna do a little showing off - hehehe :)

1) In some games, yes. Of the 30 or so games I have, around 15-20 appear with borders at the side of the screen. This is not a big deal though. My favourite games (The Unreal Tournament series) will also use borders when you first run them, however you can edit some INI files within the game itself to let it accept the widescreen resolution, and this works fine.

2) Believe me, it is far less distracting than you think. For many games that force full screen mode and have the borders (A good example from my own collection being No-One Lives Forever) you'll find that the black borders look fine and are hardly noticeable and much better than having desktop showing there.

3) Unreal Tournament 2004 is a very-high-wow-factor game. I'm afraid I can't remember off the top of my head exactly which file I had to edit to get these to support widescreen though (I'm sure a quick Google search will find the answer though, if you're stuck).

When I play Halo, I get black borders. It makes me sad. This wonderful game should give me the option of having a wider field of vision... then again, if I had a wider field of vision, I suppose that would put me at a distint advantage while playing, as I could see more than other players.... hmmm...

In COD, there is an option (must be invoked via the built-in console) to use whatever resolution you like.

Neverwinter Nights lets you size up your resolution to match your current resolution (widescreen included). Doing so on an LCD display greatly improves the crispness of the game as pixels are not being shared at a reduced resolution. However, actually playing NWN in super high resolutions is somewhat akward in a way - a store's inventory shows up on the far left and your inventory on the far right with lots of space in between (where there was none in 640x480, for instance), forcing you to drag items aaallllll the way across your large screen. Just an instance of not-very-well-thought-out widescreen / high-res mode. (hope that all makes sense)

symphonix said:
Unreal Tournament 2004 is a very-high-wow-factor game. I'm afraid I can't remember off the top of my head exactly which file I had to edit to get these to support widescreen though (I'm sure a quick Google search will find the answer though, if you're stuck).

you did it the hard way ^^ there are built in resolutions for wide screen (or at least for iMac style wide screen....)

Medal of Honor supports widescreen. That, I think, was my first experience with it on my iMac. VERY cool.

Doug

P.S. Also Jedi Knight II (may have to hack .ini)

America's Army takes up my whole PowerBook screen -- unlike many games. Even though the iMac isn't a gaming machine i doubt you'd have problems running it, as the game is a few years old now. Which video card do you have?

MBHockey said:
America's Army takes up my whole PowerBook screen -- unlike many games. Even though the iMac isn't a gaming machine i doubt you'd have problems running it, as the game is a few years old now. Which video card do you have?

i have been looking all over for the mac link to download the game
do you have it?

Back