Gaming on an iMac / eMac?

themacko

Barking at the moon.
Seeing as how both the iMac and eMac are basically the same computer besides the flat-screen, I'm wondering how games run on it (more specifically the eMac). I'm not a big gamer, but my brother is and I think it'd be a lot of fun for us to hook up and play over the internet since I don't get to see him much.

He plays a game for the PC (yeah, I'm the only Mac user out of the family) called Counter-Strike, which I know isn't available for Macs. However, he does have Unreal Tournament and Castle Wolfenstein which both work for OS X (I think). Anyone out there with an iMac or eMac that plays these games? I'm wondering how well they run ... anyways thanks for any comments, suggestions, thoughts, put-downs, whatever.

Starcraft is great on my 800 LCD imac, but on Warcraft the cursor is jerky, I'm hoping Jaguar will fix that. I rarely play games though, my friends come over and they play games on my computer :)/:(

I've played both of then very successfully on my iMac with 700MHz G4 and 512mb Ram.

You'll be looking at around 40+ fps on both games maxed out.

How about Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? I just saw that game on the Apple site and it looks freaking sweet!

Originally posted by themacko
How about Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? I just saw that game on the Apple site and it looks freaking sweet!

I'll be buying that next at the same time I buy Jag, I'll let you know.

I played StarCraft, Rainbox Six: Rogue Spear, The Sims (hah!), all on my old iMac Sage 450MHz with 512 RAM, all perfectly well.

Right now I've got the TFT 700MHz with 786 RAM, I can run StrongHold wuite nicely (way better than my PC friends can, for the most part). This beast can do anything.

I think Jaguar will make even more improvements to the overall experience. After all, Apple touts the Mac as being the best gaming platform ever. :p

in case anyone wants to know (which you don't, but i'm going to tell you anyway), my imac 600 DV with 768MB RAM runs WarCraft III as if it were calculating genetic sequences. if more than 8 people get on the screen at the same time, people start disappearing and reappearing and before i know it, my town is gone. this is on the lowest res possible, no shadows, low quality textures, etc. it sux0rz.
oh well, 17" widescreen imac w/geforce 4 coming in 3 weeks!

Back