Garage Band!?

senne

Registered
macrumors link

Anybody have some more information about Garage Band?? First time i ever heard that word in the San Fransisco rumor-rage, 1 day before the actual happening.

Garage Band!!??

from macrumors

One unconfirmed rumor has claimed that Garage Band may be the name of an upcoming Apple consumer application -- but this information can not be verified.

If it does exist, it is most likely a consumer level audio editing application based on Logic Platinum, kinda like Final Cut Express but for audio instead of video.

Ofcourse, this is only my guess :)

Brian

There have always been different versions of Logic (Gold is Platinum without TDM support IIRC) and Emagic even gave away a version called Logic Fun. I think it just did MIDI sequencing or maybe had limited audio support, can't remember. I used Bronze or something similar for MIDI sequencing during a music tech course I did a while ago. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple released something like 'iLogic', rather like iMovie.

I'm not sure about the rumours concerning a new pro audio app though since Apple already have one. If there was a new release, it would have to fill an existing gap, and I there isn't one that I can think of really...

Logic Platinum/Gold = Pro Tools / Cubase SX / Nuendo / MOTU DP
Soundtrack = Reason
'iLogic'/'Garage Band' ? = Cubasis / Subase SL / CakeWalk
Other pro audio app? = mastering? wave editor (SoundForge/Peak)?

Hmm. Just let me use Pro Tools on OSX without having to buy a new interface and I'll be happy :)

Logic Fun support[s|ed] up to 4 audio tracks and 16 MIDI tracks. Rather limited for production, but it was only intended as a sample to get you to upgrade to something more capable.

Garage Band: Now you can bug your neighbors from your Macintosh! :D :)

if it is some module or program for my iSight - or worse, a new device called an iMic or iLoud - that will make my Apple into some campy karoake box, I will release the rabid hellhounds of hades and send them to San Francisco.

Looks interesting. I'm wondering how much has changed underneath though. The Apple site mentions a pack with more software instruments etc, I'm assuming it's still based Audio Units as it's basically Logic under there, I wonder if you can use 3rd party plugins? For an almost free app, it looks pretty good (automation, amp simulation, and a bit crusher!). I'm quite intrigued now, all I can say is, Digidesign better get a move on with the new Pro Tools Free or they're going to end up losing more business to Logic. Of course GarageBand is just a cut down app for consumers but it's also a very good way for Apple to push Logic. Look what happened with Final Cut and Premiere.

Garage Band is now all over Apple's site.

I for one am a little annoyed about one thing: I just got Soundtrack for Christmas, I have only started learning with it, and was irritated to read that it has no MIDI support.

Now here's Garage Band, for $50, and it DOES support MIDI. Grr.

but it says you need a dvd burner just to install it?!!

[ quote from apple store ]
DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD
[/quote]

It requires a DVD because it's shipped on a DVD disk. The application is too large to fit on a single CD drive.

Brian

I'm very excited about Garage Band.

I fully intend to buy it and a MIDI/USB Keyboard.

I will then probably use them once and put them away somewhere - it does however look good fun and easy to use.

gerbick said:
if it is some module or program for my iSight - or worse, a new device called an iMic or iLoud - that will make my Apple into some campy karoake box, I will release the rabid hellhounds of hades and send them to San Francisco.

You almost killed me... I could not stop laughing!

monktus said:
I wouldn't think that it will support ReWire. Does Logic support it?

Depends on whether someone out there will write 3rd party apps to support GB. I think there are many possibilities... but the lack of in-depth info on GB is making me very irritated... sampling rate, format of samples (loops) and things like that... arrghh...

But as a composer, I think GB is going to be a GREAT tool... instead of having to waste too much time slapping backing music for new song ideas... record the melody idea on an iPod with a mic (Belkin or the new one from Griffin), remember that... open GB, slap something together and send it to the music publisher... making me a very happy person...

Depends on whether someone out there will write 3rd party apps to support GB.
I'm quite sure they will. I see entire communities arising around GarageBand, writing plug-ins, exchanging songs, making custom loops etc. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sooner or later would sell loops through the iTMS or something like that. Maybe a GarageBand competition, first price a place on the iTMS?

Back