GarageBand '08 and MIDI Out: Anyone??...

nixgeek

Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
I know that GB '08 was JUST released so I don't know if anyone would have a definitive answer. I've already checked on Apple's support pages to no avail, so here it goes.

Does GB '08 finally have support for MIDI out? Previous versions did not have this feature, so I'm hoping that this version will. Anyone?...Anyone???....

I've used midiO in the past with my version of GB (the iLife 05' version) but it's always locked up GB for me, so I'm hoping for a native feature this time around.

Thanks. :)

Bump...

Anyone? Still trying to find out if GB '08 has MIDI out capabilities.

Thanks.

OK, I've waited a while now so I'm bumping this again. Since enough time has passed that people have already been able to use it, I pose the question again...

Does GB '08 finally have support for MIDI out? Anyone here using GB '08 extensively for music?

Thanks...

Another bump! I'm looking for exactly the same answer :) (routing MIDI-out to my drums via Garageband). Or perhaps some other software equivalent to GB capable of midi-out. Thanks.

nixgeek:
I noticed in ur sig that u dual boot ubuntu... do u use ubuntu for midi stuff?

Another bump! I'm looking for exactly the same answer :) (routing MIDI-out to my drums via Garageband). Or perhaps some other software equivalent to GB capable of midi-out. Thanks.

nixgeek:
I noticed in ur sig that u dual boot ubuntu... do u use ubuntu for midi stuff?

Hi vcx. Yes, I have started using Ubuntu for music stuff, but it does take an understanding of JACK audio/MIDI routing. OS X does make things a lot more simpler, but once you have JACK configured properly the free and open source audio apps are pretty neat.

As for MIDI out in GarageBand, it's still not included. There is a plugin that does give GB MIDI out capabilities. It's called midiO and you can find it here.

http://mysite.verizon.net/retroware/

I tried to install MIDIo 1.2 as described but I get no sound from my MIDI synth. The connection seems fine since the Audio & MIDI configuration test is ok.

Is MIDIo 1.2 compatible with GarageBand '09 or did Apple change something in the Audio Unit format?

It's just a plugin so it should work. Do you have your MIDI synth plugged into speakers? Also, make sure that your MIDI Receive on the synth is set to the proper channel.

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, the MIDI synth is plugged into speakers.

And the MIDI Receive on the synth is set to the proper channel.

The Config Test on MIDI & Audio Utility works fine: I've got the sound!

Hence the question about the '09 release :(

FWIW I have given up on Garage Band and moved on to a software called Reaper (by Justin Frankel et al of winamp fame) and set it up to work with midiO plugin and my roland drums. Everything just works now!

http://www.reaper.fm/
OS X support is still in beta but has been working great for me.

Back