Garageband quits when trying to change audio input

lotusflamme

Registered
Here's my issue: When I try to change the audio input within Garageband preferences to my FastTrack device the following happens: As soon as I select FastTrack in the pull-down menu, a dialogue box appears stating, that changing the audio driver might take a while.

When I click on OK another dialogue appears saying: initializing audio driver (or sth. similar, you must know it's all in German on my computer.)

After about 1-2 sec. Garageband quits.

I must say that's really quite annoying!

Hopefully someone can help me with this one....

greets from Zurich, tom

I have the same problem! I have GarageBand 3.0.2 (103). I also have Harmon Kardon SoundSticks. When I try to specify in preferences for Garageband that the audio output should be the SoundSticks, the program crashes and hard. I have to force quit it. I've deleted everything related to Garageband, reinstalled the program from the iLife DVD, and still can't get it to work. This is very frustrating and disappointing.

I had something of a similar problem. When I opened garageband it would always screw up because it said my audio drivers were not connected properly or werent functioning or something. After minutes of fretting out, i did the old shut down restart trick and everthing worked ok.

Obviously that hasn't worked for you though.. so i have probably been no help.

Quoting the Macrumors reply in the 2nd link above:
--------
YES!! GB NOW WORKS WITH MY SOUNDSTICKS!!!!
All it was, was a setting in the Midi Audio Utillity. Close GB and open the "Audio Midi Setup" app in the Utilities folder in applications. Select your Sound Sticks and change the Format setting to 44100.0Hz. Close the Midi Audio Setup and open GB and you will then be able to seleted the sound sticks in GB prefs. GB is addictive once you can really hear it.
----------
Sadly, not true in my case. When I open Audio Midi Setup, I can set Output to the Soundsticks, but that is all. Under "Configure Speakers" and Audio Output," everything is simply greyed out so there are no settings to change. There is a format setting that can be changed, but it is for Audio INPUT, not output. I have no idea what the person quoted above is talking about.

Back