GarageBand screenshots

I think I could spend hours with an app like that. But where to find the time to spend hours?

Does it work without a MIDI keyboard? Or should I take this as a good excuse to pack my laptop, go to my Wintel friend's house and ask to use his?

Does anyone know how well GarageBand compares to Ampitube? Is it just preset amps or are there effects you can add, (chorus, delay, etc.)?

It *does* work with a MIDI keyboard:

On www.apple.com/ilife/garageband it sez:

Great Features
Turn your Mac into a Grand Piano or over 50 pro-sounding instruments
Record with any USB or MIDI keyboard, guitar or microphone
Mix your hit using professional effects and settings
Use thousands of prerecorded loops to add virtual musicians
Make your guitar sound like it’s playing through your favorite vintage amp

It will work with or without one, depends on how you want to use it. Either program the notes on the MIDI map with your mouse or just use a keyboard.

It basically uses digital amps to alter the sound of any incoming audio, no matter what it is. If you wanted a telephone-style conversation in the middle of your song, for example (think Pink Floyd's "Young Lust"), you add a telephone filter track and record your lyrics through it.

I didn't see anything about using standard effects like phaser or echo. It might be in there, or it might just be the amp style.

You definitely do not need a MIDI keyboard to have fun with GarageBand, but if you play piano, having one can certainly let you enjoy it even more by letting you play your own bit and recording the song.

Back