garbled fonts

unispherephoto

Registered
after installing tiger (with everything else working great) some web pages are unreadable due to letters being mixed up and substituted for each other. for example, activities reads as 'octivities', marketing reads as 'norketimg', etc.
ive repaired permissions, resolved duplicate font issues..
any other suggestions?

unispherephoto said:
after installing tiger (with everything else working great) some web pages are unreadable due to letters being mixed up and substituted for each other. for example, activities reads as 'octivities', marketing reads as 'norketimg', etc.
ive repaired permissions, resolved duplicate font issues..
any other suggestions?
That doesn't sound like garbled fonts to me. From the looks of things, you need to change your minimum font size to something that you can read.

i didnt change any fornt prefs or change font sizes..theyre set as they always were. its happening with standard 12 pt.

update:
fixed the problem. turned out safari and ichat were somehow using 'helvetica inahamper' instead of helvetica regular. inahamper has been disabled.

I haven't had garbeled font problems, but I've noticed that some things in Tiger such as iChat, some portions of web pages and HTML email seem to have "thicker fonts", where it looks like bold has been applied three or four times over. Anyone else seen this?

All sounds like a similar problem to me: Fonts getting in the way of other fonts (like some Helvetica being chosen instead of the 'real' default Helvetica font).

ktwdallas said:
I haven't had garbeled font problems, but I've noticed that some things in Tiger such as iChat, some portions of web pages and HTML email seem to have "thicker fonts", where it looks like bold has been applied three or four times over. Anyone else seen this?

This is a problem with Tiger's default font smoothing selection. Go to System Preferences --> Appearance and go down to the last setting. Set "Font Smoothing" to Standard instead of Automatic.

Reboot and it should look like Panther.

That seemed to work -- although I'm baffled on why "Standard-Best for CRT Display" would look best on a 23" Cinema Display.

Back