Gates interview on NYT

Cat

Registered
Link

Q. Have these events [blaster, sobig] created a serious public perception problem about Microsoft on the issue of security?

A. Microsoft's reputation for doing great software research is very strong, and people are looking to us now and saying, "no other software company has solved this; you, Microsoft, need to solve it." We're rising to that challenge. The expectation they have of us is very high.

So now he takes credit for solving problems that windows introduced! Windows is an OS full of holes, and now that the holes are being plugged he takes credit for it, pats himself on the back and says "well done". Dear Bill, others don't plug your holes because they don't make your mistakes! :angry: He should have said "No other software company has this problem; you, microsloth need to be fixed"! It's like doing bugs on purpose for job security.

Q. The buffer overrun flaw that made the Blaster worm possible was specifically targeted in your code reviews last year. Do you understand why the flaw that led to Blaster escaped your detection?

A. Understand there have actually been fixes for all of these things before the attack took place. The challenge is that we've got to get the fixes to be automatically applied without our customers having to make a special effort.

Notice that while blaming the users, Bill doesn't actually answer the question.

We're doing our very best, and that's all we can do._

True, but you might consider in all your hybris that your very best might not be enough.

/end flame

or, to answer only your last phrase: they're simply NOT doing their best.

If Microsoft were to finally acknowledge that while their OSs offer great features (don't flame me, because while I like Mac OS X better, their OSs still _do_ offer features...) they seem to offer a bug or security hole for every implemented feature.

On the other hand, imagine what would happen if MS would bring out Longhorn, and beside that, a simpler version of Windows that would run software compatible with Windows XP that was actually SAFE. Horrible thought, n't it? Just imagine. You could buy a cheap PC with an actually good Windows compatible OS... *sigh*. :p

Originally posted by fryke
or, to answer only your last phrase: they're simply NOT doing their best.

If Microsoft were to finally acknowledge that while their OSs offer great features (don't flame me, because while I like Mac OS X better, their OSs still _do_ offer features...) they seem to offer a bug or security hole for every implemented feature.

On the other hand, imagine what would happen if MS would bring out Longhorn, and beside that, a simpler version of Windows that would run software compatible with Windows XP that was actually SAFE. Horrible thought, n't it? Just imagine. You could buy a cheap PC with an actually good Windows compatible OS... *sigh*. :p

FrykeMan :cool: you surely have a VERY vivid imagination! :D ;)

Originally posted by fryke
In which case, Microsoft wouldn't want Windows Lite to be a lower price than Longhorn, so they make them even priced. In which Joe Buyer sees Longhorn as Windows with all the features, so they buy Longhorn. So that's not happening.

It's not like I was supposing it would actually happen, MikeXpop. :)

Rather, I'm glad it doesn't happen. It keeps people moving. Moving to Linux, moving to Macs, whatever: As long as people know that Microsoft is _not_ doing enough, we're the good guys. :p

Dark clouds gathering over Redmond:

"Don't Rely On Microsoft, Trade Group Urges Homeland Security"

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20030829S0004

Q: Have these events [blaster, sobig] created a serious public perception problem about Microsoft on the issue of security?
Nooo, not at all!

Let's hope my university gets the message too ... central systems rely heavily on proprietary M$ products ... which are proprietarily incompatible with open standards ... fortunately my faculty is Mac-based: X-Serve RAID, Airport network, iMacs for students and staff. Whole lotta goodness. :)

Microsoft is rising to the challenge?

My God, we are living in Orwell's 1984 aren't we - all this double speak, spin BS and outright lies and soooooo many people buy into it! I don't know about Bill, but my parent's taught me to be honest and take responsibility for my mistakes.

Here is another quote from another article in Mondays NYTs:

"There are three major things every consumer and user of computers needs to do," Scott Charney, the security chief for Microsoft, said. "One, get antivirus software and keep it up to date. Two, get a fire wall and turn it on. And three, patch your machines."

Sounds to me like there are three 3 things *Micorosft" needs to do for home users:

1. Provide antivirus software with Windows (free).
2. Provide a firewall in the OS like OS X (or does XP have somethingl like this buried somewhere under 18 levels of control panel options/windows/folders/tabs?).
3. Provide an easy updater like OS X.

You know why I have time to post on macosx this morning? My work PC is running its scheduled Norton anti virus and it completely bogs down the machine. I could defer it to later (it usually runs Monday night, but it was a holiday yesterday), but hey, why not let MS waste a little more US worker productivity?

imagine what would happen if MS would bring out Longhorn, and beside that, a simpler version of Windows that would run software compatible with Windows XP that was actually SAFE.

Yup. And while we're at it, lets imagine Microsoft releasing it as free, open-source. :p

By the time Longhorn is finally released, and has all the cool Jaguar-like features, the Mac will be running on a G6 with Mac OS X 10.5 Persian or something.

Thanks for the link, Cat. I thought it was the DoJ, but it's the DoHS that's going to Microsoft, which still makes lots of sense... stupid department using the bad system. Still, it's a very bad idea, due to the problems inherent in Windows.

Is it just me, or does Windows treat computer newbies as if they were power users and treat power users like idiots?

Back