Gateway's iMac look-alike!

Originally posted by cybergoober
Saw the commercial last night. It starts doing flips over a line of iMacs then the CD tray opens up and a razzberry sound is made. How original :rolleyes:

Wwooooo.... impressive... :D

Anyone know where I can see this comercial (away from home - no TV)? I tried ads.com but not listed there yet...

From the picture of it on gateway.com it looks like the thing will fall over the moment you try to adjust it! :p :rolleyes:

I'm not worried... it's not like the iMac at all as far as I'm concerned...

Can you adjust the screen to any angle and even swing it around to show someone sitting on the otherside of your desk? Um - without knocking it over I mean? :p

Can you have it so it looks like a floating window into the operating system and not like a bulky eye-sore that - woops it just fell over again! :p

Ok I'll stop! :D

I had the thought that perhaps by Dell taking Apple head-on that it might actually *validate* Apple and the iMac for some people?

Apple is getting *free* yes *free* airtime everytime it gets compared to the Dell.

Sure, Dell is trying to put a the iMac in a negative light, but some folks will take the time to seriously compare: They're being encouraged to make a comparison, after all. And maybe they wouldn't have done so, before. So they just might.

If Apple does have its "switch" ducks all in a row, the Dell campaign might be of benefit to them.

Anyway, I'm personally suspicious of anyone who uses a negative ad campaign and actually pay more attention to the object of the attack--on the thought that it *must* be "real" competition or why bother to mount an assault?

It's late.

In the carnivorious world of PC, they cannot stand fruits.. Apple is one of most hated fruit companies of all time...

It is not all hardware that makes the machine. The OS plays a very important part. And if any serious PC user will look closely at what they are buying, they will realise that Apple computers are cheap like dirt these days. I am serious. I tried building a PC once with top of the line (think Alienware) and in the end I paid more for a machine which almost compete with my Single 867 machine in number crunching... and guess what, it costs more than the Mac... double in fact. The SCSI HDD was almost half the price of the Mac to start with, with RDRAM and GF4 Ti4600 Video card... blah blah...

Give me a Mac anytime... it crashes less often. MUCH MUCH less often. ha ha ha....Windoze....zzzzzzzzz

It's a plenty fine time to market at the lowest common denominator. That'd be price. With all that Apple does to support and extend its platform, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that rock-bottom pricing is clearly never going to happen.

But, of course, you'll always find someone to be shocked, shocked (I say) that this isn't the case. Thus, Gateway has an opening to exploit, even if it involves placing a Mac and a pile of dog-poop side by side and claiming that doggy-poo is, in fact, cheaper. People will buy --it if it is packaged right.

eshine
- modreprint 4id
I apologize in advance if I offended anyone's sensibilities.

You dont get it do you, when people compare the imac to the new Gateway like gateway want them to do, the imac will be lacking badly especially in PERFORMANCE and also in price. the LCD in the Gateway is also better quality then the cheap one in the imac.

Im sorry but if you judge a new machine by the fact that its screen doesnt rotate then somethings wrong.

Ive been gone for a few days i come back and see you all reveling in your own fictional fantasies again of a Mac being faster then a good Alienware setup (Yeah right) maybe if the alienware PC was 4 years older then the Mac.

i think you all need to come back to earth again.

But you seem to be missing an essential point which has been made FrgMstr...

they run Windows, not OSX:D

(By they way, why is the LCD on the gateway better?)

Originally posted by FrgMstr

Ive been gone for a few days i come back and see you all reveling in your own fictional fantasies again of a Mac being faster then a good Alienware setup (Yeah right) maybe if the alienware PC was 4 years older then the Mac.

But it's not an Alienware PC that the Gateway is showing off - is it? :p

I'd think twice about buying a Windows PC all-in-one from anyone as I've had so much experience with bad hardware in the PC world, I'll be damned if I was to trust a Windows PC maker again.

I've had my Mac for over a year without a problem... PCs on the other hand don't last me 6 months before I have major problems with them (software or hardware) - and the last off-the-shelf PC I bought died 2 months in use (this is after another that died 1 week after I bought it).

And as I sit here I look over to the other side of the room with two HUGE boxes that need to be returned to a PC Maker's factory because of being defective... and I got a replacement monitor (to my already dead one) for my PC from the manufacturer that came DOA...

Of course these are only my views, experience and opinions obviously... but it'd be a cold day in HELL that I'll EVER buy another off-the-shelf PC - no matter just how _fast_ they claim to be... Especially over a Mac!

And just so you don't think I'm being partial to Macs, I've started using PCs at 11 years old - 15 years ago, started using Windows since Windows 3.11, built my first PC in 1995... and bought my Mac after TWO PC embarased me infront of me boss April 2001 and have been a VERY satisfied and happy camper since! :)

Top speed is nice - but not when the car (Windows PC) starts to fall appart getting there!

I'll be VERY intersted to see what the return/repair rate for these Gateway iMac-wannabes will look like.

Sorry but as far as my usage is concerned, PC's latest offering is nothing close to my Dual 1GB in stability and performance in video editing/ motion graphics and not to mention, I have YET to hear of a PC that can be trusted to handle serious MIDI/Audio work.

In my business, stability and speed is important, and the only low end solution other than investing on million dollar systems is MAC.

I can go on and on bashing PCs, but that was a culture that was dead a long time ago.

Yes, there are short comings on a Mac. I agree with that, but when it comes to critical work on an affordable machine, nothing comes close to a Mac... yet... I don't mean to go on repeating on the same topic, but stability means a lot to everyone, even a student.

I have heard of students working hard on a report and everything went down the drain because the PC just happen to want to take a break and goes into a crash. Not that it does not happen to a Mac, just that the damage is rare and minimal.

OK, I think I have talked enough... I feel like a parrot.

Originally posted by plastic
Sorry but as far as my usage is concerned, PC's latest offering is nothing close to my Dual 1GB in stability and performance in video editing/ motion graphics and not to mention, I have YET to hear of a PC that can be trusted to handle serious MIDI/Audio work.

The above post lacks one important detail... PRICE is another factor. To build a super fast, dedicated video editing software with motion graphics capability and can outdo a Mac, it will usually start at TWICE the price.

My Mac just runs, with a little tweaking that takes the most (6 hours?) out of the box.

That is my experience with Macs. Everyone knows the horror stories on PCs.

plastic

What can your dual 1Ghz Mac do that a Dual Athlon XP2200 cant do at a better price and twice as quick, im quite curious about this point. Since when are macs quicker at video rendering etc(clue for you NEVER, why dont you try and show a benchmark that proves other wise obviously the article up on digitalvideo website slipped by you without you noticing it ). And im sorry Macs are NOT i cant stress this enough NOT more stable.

. And im sorry Macs are NOT i cant stress this enough NOT more stable.

I See this is a Personal Preference, but in my OPINION, my iBook seems more Stable than my XP Desktop Machine, altho Both are left on Day by Day, my iBook is used Daily, and never seems to Slow down, but my PC, you can notice slowdown more blatently, but above all, Explorer Crashes and Stuff drive me mental! i think thats why i mainly use my PC to Serve Files and my DSL Connection... but ironically, sometimes Connected Windows Servers can Cause my Finder to Pause for a moment! :rolleyes:

But i said, i guess its down to personal preference!

NeYo

plastic

What can your dual 1Ghz Mac do that a Dual Athlon XP2200 cant do at a better price and twice as quick, im quite curious about this point. Since when are macs quicker at video rendering etc(clue for you NEVER, why dont you try and show a benchmark that proves other wise obviously the article up on digitalvideo website slipped by you without you noticing it ). And im sorry Macs are NOT i cant stress this enough NOT more stable.

Enough of this comparison. It is proven that you are definitely a pro-Win person. And I have used both platforms in my course of work over the past 15 years to know better, and Apple is still my choice for professional work. My PC is mainly used for gaming, and it is quite an amazing game console.

Like NeYo said, it is all a personal preference then. I shall rest my case and be happy with my Mac for companionship in the studio. We can go on and on about what is good and why and how come and etc.... we will not see eye to eye on this.

So I shall rest my case. I trust my Macs to get the job done. And they do. For me, personally, PCs just don't make the mark.

1) plastic, why are you on a mac board if all you are going to do is flame macs?

2) why did they have to animate the wanabe iMac? in our ad all the movements were things that could actually be done by the iMac, but i don't think i have seen a computer jump over another or have it's CD tray move up and down...

Originally posted by JetosX
1) plastic, why are you on a mac board if all you are going to do is flame macs?

2) why did they have to animate the wanabe iMac? in our ad all the movements were things that could actually be done by the iMac, but i don't think i have seen a computer jump over another or have it's CD tray move up and down...

Me flaming mac? :frowns: FrgMstr you mean... LOL... :D

Gee, I wished I have seen the ad... Gateway did so bad in this region that they have closed down all their operations. Therefore no Gateway ads.

Plastic

I do see eye to eye with you on some point for sure, i only asked you the questions i did because you were so bold with your previous statements i thought i would ask you to prove them thats all.

For the record if it was my choice about buying the imac or the Gateway i would buy the imac, that is becasue i already have a powerfull PC and would also like a mac. People who dont already have a PC however will most probably go for the PC as a first option unless shopping for a second computer, of course thats just my opinion.

...plus the fact that if you go into any PC vendor with both the iMac and Gateway sitting there, the rep will surely push the sale of the Gateway, because Apple Mac's are from another planet as far as they are concerned. Has always been a problem for Apple:(

This board is filled with people who have an apple bias. That's not bad, after all it is macosx.com.

I try to remain neutral. The Profile 4 will compete with the iMac. It is faster, it's cheaper, and it also has a built in LCD screen. A machine like this will make getting people to "switch" just a little harder.

Ok, I suspect that most people will look at the iMac and its OS and agree that it's better looking. However, is that enough to get them to leave the platform they use at work (and school?)?

I hope that this forces Apple to either lower their price or improve their offering. Competition is good for consumers. I'm glad Gateway is doing this.

Vanguard

Back