GeForce 4 Titanium (MX) work with AGP Mac

keyizm

Registered
does anyone know if a GeForce 4 Titanium MX (4x AGP capable video card) will work with an AGP Mac (2x AGP capable)? will the GeForce 4 Titanium clock down to 2x AGP and work just fine? if so, is there any real advangate with with it over an ATI 8500? i've got a friend that just upgraded his video card and he wants to sell me his old GeForce 4 Titanium (MX). i've got an ATI 8500 in mine currently but i'm a gaming buff and i'd like the extra speed & power if it'll work. any hints or comments would be MUCH welcomed, thanks ...

What model of mac do you have? Is it a sawtooth, gigabit ethernet, or Digital Audio? I'm assuming his GeForce4 Ti is a pull from BTO mac?

Brian

I've got an AGP Graphics PowerMac with 2x AGP slot. It was a 450Mhz G4 machine but I upgraded it to 1.25GHZ via an Sonnettech Encore ST G4 upgrade. The GeForce4 Ti was pulled from a BTO Dual 1Ghz Mac, I believe that's a Quicksilver 2002 model but I could be wrong. I hope this helps!!!

It _might_ work on your box, but will not perform much better then your 8500. The 8500 is a pretty good card in it's own right, the Ti is just alittle better, but thats when specing at 4x AGP, and the fact it has more memory. The card might not work because the 2x AGP slot might not provide enough power to the card. Another issue is, the Ti has an ADC and a DVI port. On your computer the ADC port is useless as your mainboard doesn't support ADC, so you can only use the DVI port, which makes running dual head impossible. All in all, I think the 8500 is about as good of performance as you'll get on an older sawtooth box.

Brian

Ok, one thing you might want to check to make certain of is WHICH nvidia card it is. The dual QS 1 gig machines came with a GeForce4 MX card (64 megs) which is different from the GeForce4 Ti (128 megs).

As btoneill pointed out the Ti card is slightly faster than the 8500, while the MX card is slower than the 8500.

i figured the ATI 8500 was the best i could get for my old AGP Graphics Mac but when my friend offered up his old GeForce 4 TI MX, i thought ... why now?! thanks for the replies & help! i'll return return the GeForce to my friend and be content with my ATI 8500 :D

Back