GeForce or Not to GeForce, that is the question...

prime

Walking No-Fun Ball
Hi there!

I'm thinking of buying a graphics card. I have a GF4MX right now, and I'm thinking of getting a GF4Ti off eBay. What kind of performance gain can I expect? I've seen all the bechmarks, but they're run on 2x 1GHz or 2x 1.25Ghz machines, which can't really be compared to my 933 (I think...). I thought of waiting for the RADEON 9700 to be released for the Mac, but it may be a while. So, what do you think I should do?

- Chris

the geforce card you have should be able to play all the latest games for mac out right now... Wait untill the next generation of cards comes out... Geforce FX and the Radeon "10000" .... (about 6 months)

Next generation cards (including ATI 9700, I think) will require 8x AGP bus, so the GeForce 4 Ti is probably the highest you'll get.

The GeForce 4 is actually a bit slower than the GeForce 3 Ti. It's not quite in the same league as the GeForce 4 Ti.

That said, do you currently have games that don't run fast enough? If not, I'd wait at least for the ATI 9700 or something better. Save your $$$ for a big jump.

Doug

...wait at least for the ATI 9700 or something better. Save your $$$ for a big jump.

Eh, probably the best choice. By the time I have the $400 needed to buy it it'll probably be released anyway.

I did some thinking, and I was really leaning towards a GeForce 4 Ti. But it would have to be bought off of eBay, and driver updates are released far and few between by Apple.

More bang for the buck is always nice. The card I have now is sufficient, but games are getting a little slow. It'll work fine for a few more months.

Yep, the ATi RADEON 9700 in a few months is the best choice! Thanks everybody.

Nitpick: the RADEON 9700 doesn't work with AGB 1x.

Back