Gentoo Offers PPC LiveCDs

Vyper

Awaiting Panther
Ripped right off their homepage: In a recent Slashdot article, someone asked if it were possible to create a fully-featured bootable Linux LiveCD for the Macintosh. We thought this was a great idea. So today, we are releasing two full-featured LiveCDs for the PowerPC: one with KDE 3, and another with GNOME 2. Take a look at the KDE LiveCD running MacOS X in a window via Mac on Linux. LiveCDs can be downloaded or from several mirrors."

http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/releases/ppc/livecd/1.4_rc7/

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml

i have been playing with this iso, it is really kewl, boot up, config x and startx.
works great, now to try the "mac on linux" that is included. it is actually very fast on my PB 500.
anyone else playing with this?

I tried burning it, and I can't boot off the cd I made (I made the disk image with Disk Copy, like I have before). Now I'm reburning with Toast. I hope it works.

i had to hold the c key on boot,. hope that helps,, and i burnt it with a nero on windoze sexPee, i dont have a cdrw in my pb500, i am looking to get one, either firewire or internal, any suggestions?

It's doing exactly what it did with my YDL cd's.

I hold c and it tries to boot from the disk. I get that gray screen for about five minutes before it just boots into OS X anyway.

I hold Option and it doesn't show a CD.

I put it in the External burner. I hold C and it does the same thing. I hold Option, and it shows the CD (with a nice little Linux icon too). I click that, click the arrow, and it gives me the same screen except with crappy, messed up colors.

I've reburned it 3 times. Twice with disk copy, and once with Toast Ti. When I burned with Toast Ti, I selected burn disk image.

Anyone can help me?

maybe try to re download the iso, ?
i think the iso is 517 megs,
if the iso is good i think you can mount it as a disk image and see inside it.

Originally posted by TRITON
i have been playing with this iso, it is really kewl, boot up, config x and startx.
works great, now to try the "mac on linux" that is included. it is actually very fast on my PB 500.
anyone else playing with this?

Command? I checked for m<tab> M<tab> and got no results.

Originally posted by TRITON
maybe try to re download the iso, ?
i think the iso is 517 megs,
if the iso is good i think you can mount it as a disk image and see inside it.
I can. It shows what it shows in the CD. 3 Folders; boot, docs, and ppc-stages. (I have the Gnome one btw) The CD and disk image both take up 510.2 Megs (because Gnome takes up less space)

Back