Geographic Networking

crowncanada.ca

Registered
I have three offices in 3 different different locations. 2 in the same city and one 2000km away. I plan to eventually have about 10 offices nationwide. All offices are equipped with Intel Macs current;y running MS Office 2004 for Mac. I'd like to network these together to establish a common Entourage database, on a server I presume.

Suggestions for hardware & software most appreciated. Thanks.

I imagine this would probably have to be done through some virtual connection like VPN or some other type of tunneling protocol. I haven't done this first hand so I can't say for sure but this seems the way it might have to be done (unless someone else can come up with a better solution). :D

Do you mean you want the same eMail accounts available on all 3 machines?

If so, having a single Entourage database in a central location isn't the best way to do it, I'd use an IMAP account and point all 3 instances of Entourage to it. Keeping the individual databases locally.

For Mac Office 2004 I'd do imap. You can use an MS Exchange server but Entourage can only use a fraction of the functionality. I guess the easiest would be an Apache web-server running mail software. For that you might consider paying a company to provide this to avoid having to do the maintenance yourself.

Thanks all. Consulted our local Mac retailer and their solution is Apple's quad xeon Xserve server package. They echoed ora's comment of Entourage - it's more designed for individual use not networking. Apparently Xserve using iCal and another contact manager works very well and that Xserve sure looks slick. Nice to keep this in house.

Back